Old 29-05-2003, 05:22 AM
Doug Quarnstrom

Default disaster narrowly averted

wrote:
: It isnt the plants that are above the water that remove oxygen at night. it is the

Not according to what I have read.

: algae in the water and especially when the water is hot and not holding much oxygen
: period. the really big issue is rotting organic matter.

Yeah. And I probably need to address that as well, althogh
when I did an experimental vaccuum of the bottom, I did not
pull up much gunk at all.

and that will eat up oxygen
: really fast. when the pump and/or the air pump quits there is no oxygen or
: oxygenated water coming into the system and the bacteria working on the organic load
: uses up the oxygen. If you have 1 12" big air stone run by a big air pump you wont
: have any kind of problem even in hot weather. Ingrid

Thanks for that info. I may install another electric circuit as
a backup in case one blows its GFI. I will put the air pump on
one and the water pump on the other.

doug