Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
joe

Default location and keeping a pond

Topazfalcon wrote:

I am located in southern manitoba, canada. Would it be possible for me to
keep an outdoor pond, and if so, is there anything special I would need to
do compared to if I lived in a location that had mild winters. Thank you.

Yes, I think you could. My parents live in Northern Sask and have a pond,
albeit a pretty small one. They take their plants and fish in for the
winter. The trouble with Manitoba and not doing that will be those minus 40
winter temps.

If you can dig the pond deep enough that it won't freeze solid AND can keep
a small portion of the surface clear to the air you should be able to.

There was a discussion on this board a few months ago (living in San Diego I
didn't pay attention to it) about how deep the pond has to be to keep from
freezing solid.

Hope that helps. I say go for it.

Joe