Old 29-05-2003, 05:22 AM
Topazfalcon

Default location and keeping a pond

I am located in southern manitoba, canada. Would it be possible for me to
keep an outdoor pond, and if so, is there anything special I would need to
do compared to if I lived in a location that had mild winters. Thank you.

Old 29-05-2003, 05:22 AM
Lori

I am located in southern manitoba, canada. Would it be possible for me to
keep an outdoor pond, and if so, is there anything special I would need to
do compared to if I lived in a location that had mild winters. Thank you.

Sure you can.
Put either a floating stock tank heater in it to keep a hole open in
the ice, or drop in one that stays on the bottom, near the pump, if
you have a waterfall, and keep the falls going all winter.

Picture of my falls in the winter. :-)
http://loricase.com/ponds/koi.htm

Lori

Old 29-05-2003, 05:22 AM
Steve

"Topazfalcon" wrote in message
I am located in southern manitoba, canada. Would it be possible for me to
keep an outdoor pond, and if so, is there anything special I would need to
do compared to if I lived in a location that had mild winters. Thank you.

Just put a hockey goal at one end in the winter.

Steve

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
John Hines

"Topazfalcon" wrote:

I am located in southern manitoba, canada. Would it be possible for me to
keep an outdoor pond, and if so, is there anything special I would need to
do compared to if I lived in a location that had mild winters. Thank you.

Deep enough to keep from freezing. And watch out for leaves in the fall
in the pond, they cause problems if there is alot to break down over the
winter.

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Nedra

Suggest digging it to at least 3 feet deep. I would not plan
on running the waterfall all winter. Doing so will keep the water
sooo cold! Buy a De-Icer from a farm equipment place ... mine
is a Farm Innovator product. This is used in brutally cold weather.
I also keep an air stone about 4 - 5 inches from the surface of the water.
If you have fish don't worry about feeding them... they
go into a suspended animation state at 40 - 50 degrees F.
It is so important to keep the bottom of the pond clean.... buy a
net to catch the fall leaves. Many fish are lost because the leaves
rot - or begin to - and this poisons the water.
I would also suggest that you buy some BZT to help keep the
bottom of the pond clean. Let us know if you need more info
on contacting BZT.

These are the most important things to remember.... I do them..
I live in Missouri ... zone 6.

Nedra

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Lori

Suggest digging it to at least 3 feet deep. I would not plan
on running the waterfall all winter. Doing so will keep the water
sooo cold!

Not when the submerged stock tank heater is running. It keeps the
water above 35 degrees.
Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Nedra

That is using waay too much electricity for my budget.
Which is why I use the air pump, air stones.... 8 watts at the most.

Nedra

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
joe

Topazfalcon wrote:

I am located in southern manitoba, canada. Would it be possible for me to
keep an outdoor pond, and if so, is there anything special I would need to
do compared to if I lived in a location that had mild winters. Thank you.

Yes, I think you could. My parents live in Northern Sask and have a pond,
albeit a pretty small one. They take their plants and fish in for the
winter. The trouble with Manitoba and not doing that will be those minus 40
winter temps.

If you can dig the pond deep enough that it won't freeze solid AND can keep
a small portion of the surface clear to the air you should be able to.

There was a discussion on this board a few months ago (living in San Diego I
didn't pay attention to it) about how deep the pond has to be to keep from
freezing solid.

Hope that helps. I say go for it.

Joe

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Bonnie Espenshade

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Lori

That is using waay too much electricity for my budget.
Which is why I use the air pump, air stones.... 8 watts at the most.

:-) Different strokes for different folks.

I like the falls in the winter, so don't mind paying a bit more for
electricity.

Old 29-05-2003, 08:56 AM
Topazfalcon

Wow, thank you so much for such helpful info. It is good to know that I will
be able to have a koi pond after all. It'll be a few years probably, but is
something to look forward to.

what is best way to move pond fish to new location? [email protected] Ponds 0 23-04-2014 12:40 PM
Lucky Bamboo and Location Mea505 Gardening 1 26-02-2008 11:36 AM
location, location, location gmb Ponds (moderated) 8 05-08-2007 08:13 PM
Pond Location NW Ponds 7 31-05-2004 02:04 PM
My pond must be one heck of a romantic location... Chad Ponds 3 09-08-2003 02:37 PM