Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
David Hare-Scott

Default elephant ears

"Litl Fish" wrote in message
Hi folks,
Does anyone have any suggestions as to saving an elephant ear plant?

When I
bought it a month ago, it had a luxurious growth, and many large

leaves. As
soon as I planted it, the leaves started drooping and going yellow.

I've
only fertilised it once when planting, and water it every third day.

It's in
a shady area facing the West, and copping a bit of wind on the

squallier
Melbourne autumn/winter days.

Should I repot it and place it in a sunnier spot slightly more out of

the
wind? My wife suggested bringing it indoors, but as we've got a

floating
floor system (her idea!) that gets destroyed by any water pooling on

it,
that's out of the question.

Thanks,
Casey Herman

These are a tropical/subtropical plant, my guess is that Melbourne is
too cold for them to thrive outdoors all year round. If this is the
reason then it may (or may not) re-grow from the bulbs in spring.

David