Old 28-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Litl Fish

Default elephant ears

Hi folks,
Does anyone have any suggestions as to saving an elephant ear plant? When I
bought it a month ago, it had a luxurious growth, and many large leaves. As
soon as I planted it, the leaves started drooping and going yellow. I've
only fertilised it once when planting, and water it every third day. It's in
a shady area facing the West, and copping a bit of wind on the squallier
Melbourne autumn/winter days.

Should I repot it and place it in a sunnier spot slightly more out of the
wind? My wife suggested bringing it indoors, but as we've got a floating
floor system (her idea!) that gets destroyed by any water pooling on it,
that's out of the question.

Thanks,
Casey Herman

Old 28-05-2003, 01:08 PM
alwynne mackie

Mine does this at this time of year, so I think yours is normal. It will
come up again later.
Alwynne

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Litl Fish

Thanks for that, Alwynne. Of all the plants around the house, this one
looked the sickest, as if it was in the middle of summer and hadn't been
watered at all. I will rest easier now!
Casey

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Litl Fish" wrote in message
[...]

These are a tropical/subtropical plant, my guess is that Melbourne is
too cold for them to thrive outdoors all year round. If this is the
reason then it may (or may not) re-grow from the bulbs in spring.

David

Elephant Ears Road Runner Gardening 5 17-02-2005 04:36 AM
elephant ears without the elephant Litl Fish Australia 5 15-06-2003 03:08 AM
elephant ears without the elephant Litl Fish Australia 0 27-05-2003 08:32 AM
elephant ears TakeThisOut Gardening 3 07-04-2003 06:20 PM
Elephant Ears TakeThisOut Gardening 23 14-03-2003 01:20 AM