Old 29-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

Default please ID these plants (webpage link)

The message
from (Justin Hughes) contains these words:

Please can someone give me an idea what these are. The first is
bizarre, about 60cm tall and very "leek-like". I'm sure it can't be a
leek! We are about to move it, as where it grows will soon be a patio.
Any suggestions as to whether it will like being moved, and a suitable
new place in terms of sun, or is it just a leek?

The next is a bit of a weed that grows all over our garden, but is
quite pretty. I just wondered what to call it.

Photos of both at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/washingtonroad/plants/

Thanks,

Justin

The first plant is indeed a leek. It's just going to seed which is what
any leek still left in the ground is likely to be doing by now.

The second one is Corydalis lutea which as you say is very pretty. Some
people find it a nuisance eventually because it seeds itself about.
Janet G