Old 29-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Justin Hughes

Default please ID these plants (webpage link)

Please can someone give me an idea what these are. The first is
bizarre, about 60cm tall and very "leek-like". I'm sure it can't be a
leek! We are about to move it, as where it grows will soon be a patio.
Any suggestions as to whether it will like being moved, and a suitable
new place in terms of sun, or is it just a leek?

The next is a bit of a weed that grows all over our garden, but is
quite pretty. I just wondered what to call it.

Photos of both at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/washingtonroad/plants/

Thanks,

Justin
Old 29-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Drakanthus

Please can someone give me an idea what these are. The first is
bizarre, about 60cm tall and very "leek-like". I'm sure it can't be a
leek!

The first one looks very much like a leek running to seed. Even the flower
head looks "leek like".
I suggest you bruise a leaf between your fingers and smell them. The smell
of leak should be unmistakable.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 29-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from (Justin Hughes) contains these words:

Please can someone give me an idea what these are. The first is
bizarre, about 60cm tall and very "leek-like". I'm sure it can't be a
leek! We are about to move it, as where it grows will soon be a patio.
Any suggestions as to whether it will like being moved, and a suitable
new place in terms of sun, or is it just a leek?

The next is a bit of a weed that grows all over our garden, but is
quite pretty. I just wondered what to call it.

Photos of both at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/washingtonroad/plants/

Thanks,

Justin

The first plant is indeed a leek. It's just going to seed which is what
any leek still left in the ground is likely to be doing by now.

The second one is Corydalis lutea which as you say is very pretty. Some
people find it a nuisance eventually because it seeds itself about.
Janet G
Old 29-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Justin
Hughes writes

The next is a bit of a weed that grows all over our garden, but is
quite pretty. I just wondered what to call it.

Looks rather like Corydalis lutea, which, however, is not usually
considered a weed.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 29-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Justin
Hughes writes
Please can someone give me an idea what these are. The first is
bizarre, about 60cm tall and very "leek-like". I'm sure it can't be a
leek! We are about to move it, as where it grows will soon be a patio.
Any suggestions as to whether it will like being moved, and a suitable
new place in terms of sun, or is it just a leek?

The next is a bit of a weed that grows all over our garden, but is
quite pretty. I just wondered what to call it.

Photos of both at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/washingtonroad/plants/

The 'weed' is Corydalis lutea. My local garden centre sells it, if you
need another reason to keep it other than its beauty ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 29-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Rod

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
The 'weed' is Corydalis lutea. My local garden centre sells it, if you
need another reason to keep it other than its beauty ;-)
--

A lovely family - apart from beauty of flower and foliage, after they've done their stuff they quickly and quietly
disappear until it's time to do it again next year.

Rod

Old 29-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Rod" wrote in message ...

The 'weed' is Corydalis lutea. My local garden centre sells it, if you
need another reason to keep it other than its beauty ;-)
--

A lovely family - apart from beauty of flower and foliage, after they've

done their stuff they quickly and quietly
disappear until it's time to do it again next year.

Unless it's my garden where they just disappear never to be seen again. :-(

-- The first plant is a leek, we have a number left over from last season
about to flower on the allotment both for their beauty and the possibility
of some "pips". The bees love them too. If you can hide the foliage they do
make spectacular flowers that would look good in the back of any border.
Alliums are "in" again now after this years Chelsea so don't pull it up just
yet .

Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.