Old 29-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Plum

Default tiny spiders (slightly OT)

wrote:

Attached to a brick in the garden I found a yellowish protuberance

about
the
size of a grape. When I disturbed it, however, to my amazement

it became clear that it
was
actually a clump of extremely small spider-like creatures. Each was

fairly
bright yellow with a dark dot visible at one end.

They are baby garden spiders which are fascinating to watch. When
disturbed they spread out as you saw and then cluster together again.

Thanks to all who replied.

I've been monitoring the 'babies' each day since finding them. They
separated into two smaller clumps, and later some small thread-like 'webs'
appeared. Today when I checked, they'd dispersed altogether. I hope they're
now independent enough to survive -but it was fun watching them.

Julia P