Old 29-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Kay Easton

Default apple fruitlets gone

In article , shannie
writes
We planted a discovery apple tree last May. Last month it had lots of
blossom, when the blossom died off it had the look of lots of tiny
fruitlets, so many in fact that we worried would it be able to carry the
weight of them all. Now nothing!!...not one fruitlet, they've all withered
and died . Last month I found a fungus growing near it about 6-8" away
from it if memory serves, I wondered if the two were related? If not what's
gone wrong?, there's also very few leaves left on the poor thing, it looks
really bedraggled. I haven't fed it at all this year and kept it watered
during the "summer spell" we had earlier.

What are you using as a pollinator?

I wouldn't leap to the conclusion that it's the fungus. There are many
hundreds of them, and they play a vital role in breaking down dead
stuff. Very few attack healthy trees.

That said, 'bedraggled' is not a happy description for an apple tree!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: