Old 29-05-2003, 05:24 AM
shannie

Default apple fruitlets gone

We planted a discovery apple tree last May. Last month it had lots of
blossom, when the blossom died off it had the look of lots of tiny
fruitlets, so many in fact that we worried would it be able to carry the
weight of them all. Now nothing!!...not one fruitlet, they've all withered
and died . Last month I found a fungus growing near it about 6-8" away
from it if memory serves, I wondered if the two were related? If not what's
gone wrong?, there's also very few leaves left on the poor thing, it looks
really bedraggled. I haven't fed it at all this year and kept it watered
during the "summer spell" we had earlier.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

--

Shan (Ireland)
http://ukdiscus.com/main.htm

Old 29-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Kay Easton

In article , shannie
writes
We planted a discovery apple tree last May. Last month it had lots of
blossom, when the blossom died off it had the look of lots of tiny
fruitlets, so many in fact that we worried would it be able to carry the
weight of them all. Now nothing!!...not one fruitlet, they've all withered
and died . Last month I found a fungus growing near it about 6-8" away
from it if memory serves, I wondered if the two were related? If not what's
gone wrong?, there's also very few leaves left on the poor thing, it looks
really bedraggled. I haven't fed it at all this year and kept it watered
during the "summer spell" we had earlier.

What are you using as a pollinator?

I wouldn't leap to the conclusion that it's the fungus. There are many
hundreds of them, and they play a vital role in breaking down dead
stuff. Very few attack healthy trees.

That said, 'bedraggled' is not a happy description for an apple tree!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 29-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from "shannie" contains these words:

We planted a discovery apple tree last May. Last month it had lots of
blossom, when the blossom died off it had the look of lots of tiny
fruitlets, so many in fact that we worried would it be able to carry the
weight of them all. Now nothing!!...not one fruitlet, they've all withered
and died . Last month I found a fungus growing near it about 6-8" away
from it if memory serves, I wondered if the two were related? If not what's
gone wrong?, there's also very few leaves left on the poor thing, it looks
really bedraggled. I haven't fed it at all this year and kept it watered
during the "summer spell" we had earlier.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

You wouldn't really want an apple tree to fruit as early in its life as
this and I seem to remember that Discovery isn't quick to come into
fruit when young. So that in itself isn't worrying.

The loss of leaves is much more worrying. I presume it was a pot-grown
tree if you planted it in May. It would have needed a lot of watering
last summer as it's not an ideal time to plant a tree. Did it remain
healthy-looking all last year?

Janet G

Old 29-05-2003, 02:44 PM
billtheburglar

"shannie" wrote in message ...
We planted a discovery apple tree last May. Last month it had lots of
blossom, when the blossom died off it had the look of lots of tiny
fruitlets, so many in fact that we worried would it be able to carry the
weight of them all. Now nothing!!...not one fruitlet, they've all withered
and died . Last month I found a fungus growing near it about 6-8" away
from it if memory serves, I wondered if the two were related? If not what's
gone wrong?, there's also very few leaves left on the poor thing, it looks
really bedraggled. I haven't fed it at all this year and kept it watered
during the "summer spell" we had earlier.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Are there other apples (edible or crab)within 50 yards? if yes were
they flowering when your discovery did? unless you answer yes to both
you need to plant a pollinator close by. Any good book or catalogue
will show you what blossoms at the same time as discovery. If you want
more eaters you could try cox, james grieve, greensleeves, sunset or
spartan (or dozens of others)
Old 03-06-2003, 10:44 PM
shannie

What are you using as a pollinator?

Apologies for not replying sooner, phone lines went down last Friday

We were told in the garden centre that we wouldn't need a pollinator in our
area, obviously not the best advise

I wouldn't leap to the conclusion that it's the fungus. There are many
hundreds of them, and they play a vital role in breaking down dead
stuff. Very few attack healthy trees.

Had a feeling that would be the case, wise to check tho

That said, 'bedraggled' is not a happy description for an apple tree!

agreed
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 03-06-2003, 10:44 PM
shannie

"Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson" wrote in
message ...

You wouldn't really want an apple tree to fruit as early in its life as
this and I seem to remember that Discovery isn't quick to come into
fruit when young. So that in itself isn't worrying.

The loss of leaves is much more worrying. I presume it was a pot-grown
tree if you planted it in May. It would have needed a lot of watering
last summer as it's not an ideal time to plant a tree. Did it remain
healthy-looking all last year?

Yes, it was planted from a pot, it looked very good last summer, no fruit
but then we didn't expect any, but lots of leaf, certainly a lot more than
it has now, think there are about 10 leaves on it as we speak

Janet G

Old 03-06-2003, 10:44 PM
shannie

"billtheburglar" wrote in message
om...
Are there other apples (edible or crab)within 50 yards? if yes were
they flowering when your discovery did? unless you answer yes to both
you need to plant a pollinator close by.

Any good book or catalogue
will show you what blossoms at the same time as discovery. If you want
more eaters you could try cox, james grieve, greensleeves, sunset or
spartan (or dozens of others)

No, no other apples close by, we're on an acre and there are certainly none
others here anymore. That and perhaps a lack of watering after planting seem
to be the common thread Im getting. Will recitify both situations when the
time's right.

Shan