Old 29-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Bob

Default Color of Koi

On Thu, 29 May 2003 01:09:44 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:
Thanks .
That's what I kind of suspected but wasn't sure.......I'm tring to
round them up, but I think I waited too long for some of the bigger
ones, have a hard time getting them to go into the minnow
trap........maybe have to get a bigger trap or they just may be too
smart

Bob,

the color of the koi is primarily genetics, with a certain number of them
being throw backs to the original carp. The koi that you buy, particularly
the larger Japanese koi, they have been culled and reculled to get the best
color, pattern, and size. All of the throw backs are culled out, as are a
large number of koi that just miss the mark that the breeder is trying to
achieve. I have ended up with a fair percentage in each years spawn.

Bob

The early bird may get the worm.....
But the second mouse gets the cheese

You may see our pond at