Old 29-05-2003, 05:22 AM
Bob

Default Color of Koi

This is our second year for our pond ...........so far this year we've
had at least three spawnings.......as we have three different size
fish some are about 3/4 of an inch long some about 2 inches and some
about 3 1/2 inches.......my question is do Koi sometimes revert back
to their natural carp color?? Or are there brown Koi?? I've never
seen a brown Koi....maybe they're culled because they are not too
colorful.....Out of the 18 survivors two are the brown color with
light colored bellies.....just wondering if this is normal as we're
newbies at this....
Pondering.......
Bob and Susie

Bob

The early bird may get the worm.....
But the second mouse gets the cheese

You may see our pond at
www.gulftel.com/seadogs
Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
RichToyBox

Bob,

the color of the koi is primarily genetics, with a certain number of them
being throw backs to the original carp. The koi that you buy, particularly
the larger Japanese koi, they have been culled and reculled to get the best
color, pattern, and size. All of the throw backs are culled out, as are a
large number of koi that just miss the mark that the breeder is trying to
achieve. I have ended up with a fair percentage in each years spawn.
--
RichToyBox

Old 29-05-2003, 05:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I have seen brown koi the color of root beer for sale at the koi/pond
conventions. Sorry can't remember what they call them, but you'd probably
find them in www.koi.com encyclopedia, look for "something" ogon. ~ jan

"Bob" seadogs@gulftel,com wrote in message
This is our second year for our pond ...........so far this year we've
had at least three spawnings.......as we have three different size
fish some are about 3/4 of an inch long some about 2 inches and some
about 3 1/2 inches.......my question is do Koi sometimes revert back
to their natural carp color?? Or are there brown Koi?? I've never
seen a brown Koi....maybe they're culled because they are not too
colorful.....Out of the 18 survivors two are the brown color with
light colored bellies.....just wondering if this is normal as we're
newbies at this....
Pondering.......
Bob and Susie

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 29-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Bob

On Thu, 29 May 2003 01:09:44 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:
Thanks .
That's what I kind of suspected but wasn't sure.......I'm tring to
round them up, but I think I waited too long for some of the bigger
ones, have a hard time getting them to go into the minnow
trap........maybe have to get a bigger trap or they just may be too
smart

Old 29-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Bob

On Wed, 28 May 2003 21:46:37 -0700, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:
Hi Jan
I didn't even know I had the brown ones until they were caught in the
minnow trap, they blend in so well they are almost invisible........

bob

Old 30-05-2003, 12:56 AM
RichToyBox

Name for the ones that they sell are chagoi. They are the first in the pond
to come and eat out of your hand. They generally will outgrow everything in
the pond.
--
RichToyBox

Old 31-05-2003, 08:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Ah, TY RTB. )

Bob, go to:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...UTF-8%26sa%3DN
5th picture down, is this what you have? If the URL doesn't work, what I
did was goggle "chagoi koi" and clicked images. ~ jan