Old 29-05-2003, 02:44 PM
billtheburglar

Default apple fruitlets gone

"shannie" wrote in message ...
We planted a discovery apple tree last May. Last month it had lots of
blossom, when the blossom died off it had the look of lots of tiny
fruitlets, so many in fact that we worried would it be able to carry the
weight of them all. Now nothing!!...not one fruitlet, they've all withered
and died . Last month I found a fungus growing near it about 6-8" away
from it if memory serves, I wondered if the two were related? If not what's
gone wrong?, there's also very few leaves left on the poor thing, it looks
really bedraggled. I haven't fed it at all this year and kept it watered
during the "summer spell" we had earlier.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Are there other apples (edible or crab)within 50 yards? if yes were
they flowering when your discovery did? unless you answer yes to both
you need to plant a pollinator close by. Any good book or catalogue
will show you what blossoms at the same time as discovery. If you want
more eaters you could try cox, james grieve, greensleeves, sunset or
spartan (or dozens of others)