Old 29-05-2003, 03:32 PM
susabean

Default shade garden question

my dh planted a mess of hostas in the spot. I guess I need to find another
place for the daylilies! Maybe where the yarrow is taking over my patio
garden! I am very close to pulling it ALL out and replacing it with
something else, except that I really LIKE the soft, feathery green.......I
just don't like having to pull 1/2 of it up every 3 weeks! :O

I want to plant something around with the hosta, too....it was a very large
plant that my husband dug up and divided about 15 ways (literally!) but
until it "takes", the area that it was planted needs something else,
besides.

blessings
Tammy

--
The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom.
Henry Ward Beecher

Thank goodness I was never sent to school; it would have rubbed off some of
the originality.
Beatrix Potter

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
William Butler Yeats

www.pictureparables.com

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"Dan D." wrote in message
om...

I know vinca is invasive, but will it invade the grass? Is there

something
I can do to block it from spreading into the perennial garden next to

this
area (short of not planting it?)

I don't believe it will invade your grass - at least not if you mow
your lawn occasionally.

You can easily keep it out of your perennial beds by putting a plastic

edge
around the vinca. It's shallow rooted and seems to spread by top of the
ground runners so you can simply clip them if they try to get out or
lift them and point them back in the right direction.

As far is it being thick enough to block weeds I wonder if there is
such a thing???

I had a major invasion of wild strawberry in my vinca this year. What a
mess! I spent two days combing through the vinca to remove the strawberries
and I know that they will be back. I also get thistles and wild honeysuckle
growing in the vinca. I assure you that it doesn't block out all weeds.

---