Old 25-05-2003, 05:44 AM
susabean

Default shade garden question

I have an area underneath a crabapple tree and a dogwood tree that needs
something that spreads quickly, will keep the weeds down (there is a chain
link fence between my yard and neighbor's yard, and due to the drought last
year and well.....life, I guess, his side of the fence is a weedy mess!) and
isn't very expensive (I have put in several perennial gardens this year and
I'm going broke rather fast!) The area is about 4-5 feet long, and about
1-2 feet wide. I had thought periwinkle (vinca) but my dad seems to think
ajuga would be better.

I know vinca is invasive, but will it invade the grass? Is there something
I can do to block it from spreading into the perennial garden next to this
area (short of not planting it?)

I also have someone giving me a mess of daylilies......will they do ok in a
shady area? I know they PREFER sun, but will they do ok in shade?

I live in Maryland....not sure what zone that is offhand, but I think its 6
or 7.

Thanks.

Tammy

--
The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom.
Henry Ward Beecher

Thank goodness I was never sent to school; it would have rubbed off some of
the originality.
Beatrix Potter

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
William Butler Yeats

www.pictureparables.com

---

Old 29-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Fleemo

"susabean" wrote in message ...
[...]

Many varieties of Daylilies will do fine in at least partial shade.
In fact most of my Daylilies are in partial shade and are doing quite
well. Plant 'em and see how they do. If they look unhappy, pack 'em
up and send 'em to me!

I don't know much about Vinca. I planted some under a pine tree two
years ago, and it hasn't done a dang thing.

-Fleemo
Old 29-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Dan D.

I know vinca is invasive, but will it invade the grass? Is there something
I can do to block it from spreading into the perennial garden next to this
area (short of not planting it?)

I don't believe it will invade your grass - at least not if you mow
your lawn occasionally.

You can easily keep it out of your perennial beds by putting a plastic edge
around the vinca. It's shallow rooted and seems to spread by top of the
ground runners so you can simply clip them if they try to get out or
lift them and point them back in the right direction.

As far is it being thick enough to block weeds I wonder if there is
such a thing???

Good luck!
Dan D. Louisville KY good ole USA
Old 29-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Vox Humana

"Dan D." wrote in message
om...

I know vinca is invasive, but will it invade the grass? Is there

something
I can do to block it from spreading into the perennial garden next to

this
area (short of not planting it?)

I don't believe it will invade your grass - at least not if you mow
your lawn occasionally.

You can easily keep it out of your perennial beds by putting a plastic

edge
around the vinca. It's shallow rooted and seems to spread by top of the
ground runners so you can simply clip them if they try to get out or
lift them and point them back in the right direction.

As far is it being thick enough to block weeds I wonder if there is
such a thing???

I had a major invasion of wild strawberry in my vinca this year. What a
mess! I spent two days combing through the vinca to remove the strawberries
and I know that they will be back. I also get thistles and wild honeysuckle
growing in the vinca. I assure you that it doesn't block out all weeds.

Old 29-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Jack Straw

"Vox Humana" :

I had a major invasion of wild strawberry in my vinca this year. What a
mess! I spent two days combing through the vinca to remove the strawberries
and I know that they will be back. I also get thistles and wild honeysuckle
growing in the vinca. I assure you that it doesn't block out all weeds.

Ditto. My vinca's full of honeysucke, which tends to break instead of
coming out w/ the root. What a pain...

--
JackStraw
0x3D561045

Old 29-05-2003, 03:32 PM
susabean

my dh planted a mess of hostas in the spot. I guess I need to find another
place for the daylilies! Maybe where the yarrow is taking over my patio
garden! I am very close to pulling it ALL out and replacing it with
something else, except that I really LIKE the soft, feathery green.......I
just don't like having to pull 1/2 of it up every 3 weeks! :O

I want to plant something around with the hosta, too....it was a very large
plant that my husband dug up and divided about 15 ways (literally!) but
until it "takes", the area that it was planted needs something else,
besides.

blessings
Tammy

--
The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom.
Henry Ward Beecher

Thank goodness I was never sent to school; it would have rubbed off some of
the originality.
Beatrix Potter

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
William Butler Yeats

www.pictureparables.com

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

om...

Old 29-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Zemedelec

I know vinca is invasive, but will it invade the grass? Is there something
I can do to block it from spreading into the perennial garden next to this
area (short of not planting it?)

I savor this idea...sometimes the only defense is a good offense. Attack him
with little blue flowers!
zemedelec
Old 30-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Audrey Copperwheat

Interesting... same plants grown here...

I *finally* had enough two years ago and ripped out ALL my yarrow
(achillea) -- or so I thought. It's back again, just not quite as
"thick", *yet*.

Ripped out TONS of vinca a few years back, but it's so thick again that
I worked for hours last week just trying to regain a 3 foot by 6" strip
of lawn it had creeped into (my SO refuses to mow ANY flower or pretty
weed. Geez... I thought I'd have to tranquilize him when I
*insisted* on finally mowing over the violets and speedwell.

Over the years, I've ripped out the Aegopodium (variagated "bishop's
weed") several times. Each time it comes back thicker and nicer than
before! [In fact, I was thinking about this tonight as I tried to rip
out a few strays from a patch I'm trying to clear... WHY can these
things be abused so badly and *thrive*, while expensive and more
desirable plants will wither and die at the slightest adversity?!] This
stuff is snuffing out my spearmint, if you can believe it!

My Lily of the Valley is the same (spreading and thriving) -- however,
for me at least, it and the aegopodium are more agressive than vinca at
keeping other plants and weeds out. Probably because their root systems
are more fleshy.

Violets everywhere -- but at least that's not a root runner. And
someone gave me "forget me nots" a few years back. That's everywhere
now (through seed) -- but definitely the best of the lot
(maintenance-wise)! Gorgeous when flowering, and VERY easy to rip out
when when gone to seed... although, that just encourages it more, eh?
;^)

At least all of the above are *pretty*. I won't tell you about the
oregano my SO's SIL gave me!

Anyways, the area you're talking about planting is pretty small. If you
do go with the vinca, you can easily put a rock or brick edge (or
similar)... the vinca will gently spill over that edge (looks pretty
too), but can easily be clipped before it can get purchase on land
again.

An alternative to these perennials might be to apply heavy mulch and
spot plant something like impatiens. You'd know better with what the
area looks like, though.

And if you want any of the above, and don't have a source, contact me.

A.

susabean wrote:

[...]

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

om...