Old 29-05-2003, 07:56 PM
D Cooney

Default help needed

I live in Michigan in the US and we have cold winters here. I've been
able to grow Paphiopedilums and Phals and other varieties without much
trouble. I've read that Phals are the easiest to grow, but that has
not been my experience. I think they are tempermental and the white
flowered ones are the hardiest. I've had no trouble at all with
oncidiums. I've now started collecting miniatures because they take
up less furniture space. I have found out that you need to get them
in the right light and they are happy. The trick is finding the right
window for them. I have a Phal right now that was near blooming and
all of a sudden it is dying on me. It happens sometimes. My sister
keeps her orchids on a kitchen window which faces south and they are
always in bloom. I think they like it there because they are able to
get lots of moisture when she washes her dishes. My advise is not to
give up and find the right window & moisure in your house and you will
be rewarded. I wish you lots of luck.

Best Regards from Michigan,
D Cooney

PS - don't try Vandas - they need a greenhouse.

Geir Harris Hedemark wrote in message ...
"Boystrup Pb, ann,..." writes:
I dont know why but all the roots of my phal. dry up, and very few new grow
back.
My paph's just stop growing and start loosing therre leaves one by one.

Same thing happens to me here in Norway.

I think the consensus in the group landed on my climate being too cold
and dry to keep these plants.

Geir