Old 29-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Default help needed

Hallo
My name is Peter and I have been growing orchids for about 3 years now.
However I have a problem with Paph's. For some reason they al die within 6
months. At the moment i have 3 left, one of them has a 6 month garantee and
it looks like I will need it.
I can keep vanda's, cattleya's, dendrobiums, miltonia, oncidium, gongora,
stanhopea...
Just my paph's and also my phalaenopsis dont seem to like me.
I dont know why but all the roots of my phal. dry up, and very few new grow
back.
My paph's just stop growing and start loosing therre leaves one by one.

I consider this problem a challenge and will keep on trying to grow these
pikheaded plants. There is just one more problem. the Paph's are getting
more and more expensive. As a child ten years ago my mother bought them for
about $5 a piece now those same plants cost 5 somtimes even 10 times as
much.

So if anyone knows where I can get a few cheap ones to experement with it
would be very helpfull.
I would be gratefull for any advice or Idea's.

Peter From Belgium

Old 29-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

"Boystrup Pb, ann,..." writes:
I dont know why but all the roots of my phal. dry up, and very few new grow
back.
My paph's just stop growing and start loosing therre leaves one by one.

Same thing happens to me here in Norway.

I think the consensus in the group landed on my climate being too cold
and dry to keep these plants.

Geir
Old 29-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Diane Mancino

I am in the northern US, and feel the conditions to be similar to my flat in
Northern Germany. Cool and cloudy most of the year and always comfortable in
a sweater.

On the windowsill here, I can get blooms on my Paphs and Phal, but the paph
seedling had no growth till I moved it under the florescent lights were
there was warmer, but the similar moderate light. I don't think location is
the answer

If a typical European home you usually keep your home cooler than we do in
the US at 65-70 F, maybe not warm enough, but everything else your growing
would need similar conditions- maybe too much light?

What medium and pots do you have your paphs and phal in.?

Diane

Old 29-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

"Diane Mancino" writes:
If a typical European home you usually keep your home cooler than we do in
the US at 65-70 F, maybe not warm enough, but everything else your growing
would need similar conditions- maybe too much light?

Possibly. I have given phals everything from 3000 to 10000 lux. They
don't survive either way.

What medium and pots do you have your paphs and phal in.?

I never get them to hang around long enough for repotting to be an
issue, so for my part it's the shop-delivered moss/bark mix with
plastic pots.

Geir

Old 29-05-2003, 07:56 PM
D Cooney

I live in Michigan in the US and we have cold winters here. I've been
able to grow Paphiopedilums and Phals and other varieties without much
trouble. I've read that Phals are the easiest to grow, but that has
not been my experience. I think they are tempermental and the white
flowered ones are the hardiest. I've had no trouble at all with
oncidiums. I've now started collecting miniatures because they take
up less furniture space. I have found out that you need to get them
in the right light and they are happy. The trick is finding the right
window for them. I have a Phal right now that was near blooming and
all of a sudden it is dying on me. It happens sometimes. My sister
keeps her orchids on a kitchen window which faces south and they are
always in bloom. I think they like it there because they are able to
get lots of moisture when she washes her dishes. My advise is not to
give up and find the right window & moisure in your house and you will
be rewarded. I wish you lots of luck.

Best Regards from Michigan,
D Cooney

PS - don't try Vandas - they need a greenhouse.

Old 29-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Wendy

Hello Peter from Belgium & welcome to our group. I too have trouble growing
paphs & phals??
I grow my orchids in a greenhouse & have done so for 9 years.
They just don't do well for me at all & don't know why either?
I have about 30 paphs & only one in bloom right now, no spikes & have killed
many!!!
Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. *g*
Cheers Wendy
.be...

Old 29-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

(D Cooney) writes:
PS - don't try Vandas - they need a greenhouse.

They do?

My vanda sansai (or was it keeree?) blue (just a small one, probably
won't flower for another two years) is putting forth leaves like
crazy. Since january, there are five new leaves, a 4in new root and
several new growths on old roots. It _is_ getting 25klux of artificial
light 12 hours each day, but apart from that, it is just sitting on a
table in the living room along with two ascocendas, one blc white
diamond, one noname dendrobium (white flowers, getting 10klux and also
thriving) and a number of epidendrums that are all divisions or keikis
off one (noname, labelled as "ballerina") plant. All of them seem to
be doing very well - I have a hope that the blc will start flowering
in july. It has two new bulbs that are maturing right now. All of
these plants are in pots. A lime bush and a tomato plant are also
under the same lights to help keep the moisture a bit higher.

It seems strap-leaved vandas are easier to handle for me than
semi-terete varieties. The ascocendas don't like the 40% humidity I am
able to provide in the summer months, I think. Especially the bottom
leaves wrinkle, and it looks like the plant has a problem keeping
enough moisture. I have tried putting some oil-based product on the
leaves in an attempt to clog up some of the pores in the leaves, they
will probably tell me if that was a good idea in a month or so.

I have a 55-60% indoor humidity during the winter, which seems to be
enough to keep all my orchids in good shape.

Geir
Old 30-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

hi
I have 4 vanda's.
First a Vanda Coerulea. It's doing oke but I keep it In my mini greenhouse
because of the higher humidity.
Secondly 2 Vanda tricolor var suavis both doing very well. One in my
bedroom and one in my mini greenhouse.
They both grow at about the same rate and one of them has lost only one
leave. That's pretty good for a period of 2 years and there's a lot of rot
activity.
The last vanda is a small one about 4 cm high. The roots are growing and
there's a new leave comming. again I keep it in my little improvised
greenhouse.

How about making a glas cage/box with a small computer ventilator inside.
Put a layer of small stones on the bottom like in an aquarium. Then place
the Vanda inside and any other orchid that might need a higher humidity. It
can be very decorative and inside the cage/box the humidity can get a lot
higher. close the box and leave just a small corner open for fresh air.

I red that you use artificial light. I've been told that it's not a good
thing, and I've also read it a couple of times. It's something about the
changing lightfrequentie needed by the plant to make flowers. I'm not saying
it's a fact but I give all my Orchids only natural light. Untill now all of
them give me flowers although i must admit it took me 10 years to figure out
how to get my dendrobium delicatum to flower. Possibly that plant is even
more pikheaded then I am.

I realy would like the vanda Terres but it needs a few things I can't give
it. High humidity a looot of light, high temperature all year and a lot of
space. It's to high for my mini greenhouse and the day's are not always long
enough here in Belgium. Who knows maybe one day.

Do you have any advice about an Oncidium Papilio and kramerianum. I have one
of each but they're still young. For some reason they always lose there
leaves. While they mature the leaves suddenly get small black spots and fall
off. The bulb still matures and then starts growing again after a short
resting periode.

I know absolutely nothing about ascocendas. I've seen a few but never bought
any.
I don't know if it's a good idea to clog up the pores. I red once that a lot
of orchids can take in nurishment through the leaves as well as the roots.
But good luck, I hope I'm wrong.

Peter

"Geir Harris Hedemark" schreef in bericht

Old 30-05-2003, 04:10 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

"Boystrup Pb, ann,..." writes:
I red that you use artificial light. I've been told that it's not a good

It probably isn't, but it is the best I am able to provide here in
Norway here in my flat.

Anyway, the vandas get a trip outside when the sun hits the balcony.

Geir
Old 30-05-2003, 04:10 PM
Diane Mancino

If you haven't been here yet for the paph questions. So much info I hope it
doesn't confuse the issue more. Nice illustrations
http://www.ladyslipper.com/index.html

Old 30-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Dave Sheehy

Geir Harris Hedemark ) wrote:
: (D Cooney) writes:
: PS - don't try Vandas - they need a greenhouse.

: They do?

:-)

[...]

I have a 15 year old Vanda that's never seen a greenhouse for the entire
time I've had it. It's bloomed consistently for the last 5 years at the
least (it was in a 1" pot when I bought it). It sits in a window sill all
year long and gets nothing but natural light and whatever the local
humidity happens to be (30-40% in the summer and 50-60% in the winter).
So, IME based on this one individual they certainly don't need a greenhouse.
I have recently acquired an Ascocenda and another Vanda and they both are
growing new leaves and roots. I haven't had them long enough to rebloom yet
though. My Vandas are both of the strap-leaved type. I haven't tried any
of the terete types.

Dave Sheehy

Old 02-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Janice Wiegley

"Wendy" wrote in message news:5VsBa.58432$MJ5.689@fed1read03...
[...]

My mom and I have about 8 Phal's and I live in Buffalo, NY. We found
that the potting medium and the type of pot are very important. Bark
in plastic, or moss in terracotta (with the 4 holes at the bottom) or
moss in the glazed orchid pots with all the holes. All our phals that
started dying were too wet and were in moss in plastic combo. Our
phal's seem pretty hardy and I've always heard as far as Phals go,
that if it looks like it's dieing, un-pot it, look at the roots and
see what's going on. One phal was dying and we took him out of the
pot and saw that his roots were rotting and he was staying too wet. I
repotted him in new moss in a terracotta pot and he's started growing
a new leaf within a few months. Ours seem to need watering a lot less
in the summer than winter. I always feel I "need" to water them in
summer more often but have to hold my self back. Hope this helps.
Old 03-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Paulo

That is a good advice Janice, I am in Toronto, new with orchids and I can
refer to you (weather wise). I am having problmes with my orchids, and I
think is the watering thing....to much..to little....but as you said, summer
is more humid than winter, where with heat on, plant dry out very fast....

Thanks

--
Paulo
"Janice Wiegley" wrote in message