Old 29-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Default help needed

(D Cooney) writes:
PS - don't try Vandas - they need a greenhouse.

They do?

My vanda sansai (or was it keeree?) blue (just a small one, probably
won't flower for another two years) is putting forth leaves like
crazy. Since january, there are five new leaves, a 4in new root and
several new growths on old roots. It _is_ getting 25klux of artificial
light 12 hours each day, but apart from that, it is just sitting on a
table in the living room along with two ascocendas, one blc white
diamond, one noname dendrobium (white flowers, getting 10klux and also
thriving) and a number of epidendrums that are all divisions or keikis
off one (noname, labelled as "ballerina") plant. All of them seem to
be doing very well - I have a hope that the blc will start flowering
in july. It has two new bulbs that are maturing right now. All of
these plants are in pots. A lime bush and a tomato plant are also
under the same lights to help keep the moisture a bit higher.

It seems strap-leaved vandas are easier to handle for me than
semi-terete varieties. The ascocendas don't like the 40% humidity I am
able to provide in the summer months, I think. Especially the bottom
leaves wrinkle, and it looks like the plant has a problem keeping
enough moisture. I have tried putting some oil-based product on the
leaves in an attempt to clog up some of the pores in the leaves, they
will probably tell me if that was a good idea in a month or so.

I have a 55-60% indoor humidity during the winter, which seems to be
enough to keep all my orchids in good shape.

Geir