Old 30-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Torsten Brinch

Default Long term changes in ground chemistry due to Vineyards

On 30 May 2003 07:41:11 -0700, (Control) wrote:

Thanks for the Info, I'll definately follow the contact you gave.

Just a question to the copper. I would have thought that the copper
comes from the fungicides used to fight mildew. Wouldn't this be quite
a recent effect, or did people use copper before say 1800?

Nah. It is a more recent invention, from about 1890.

The
situation is question is the following: The area around a small
village is found to have been known for wine exports during the 1700s
and 1800s, and maybe even later. Today however, there are only a few
small vineyards in the area. There are lots of possible sites, as the
area is rather hilly. I was wondering if there's any way to detect
where those old vineyards were.

If my assumption regarding the copper is true, is there any ground
chemistry changes produced by the vines themselves?

No unique strongly indicative changes that I am aware of, and not at
all persistent over that timeframe. Records kept from the known wine
production/export businesses might be more promising than looking into
soil chemistry.