Old 30-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Oz

Default Long term changes in ground chemistry due to Vineyards

Control writes
Thanks for the Info, I'll definately follow the contact you gave.

Just a question to the copper. I would have thought that the copper
comes from the fungicides used to fight mildew. Wouldn't this be quite
a recent effect, or did people use copper before say 1800?

I think the use of copper as a fungicide is quite old. Probably not pre
1800, but torsten will correct me if not.

If you worry about copper consider a level of say 20ppm (a level I would
kill to have here). Take the top 200mm (0.2Ha) then 1Ha contains 2000
cubic metres weighting perhaps 4000T so 20ppm would be 80kg copper. I
would guess a copper-lime fungicide would contain some 10% copper and be
applied at a few kg/Ha, maybe 10. That's some 1kg/annum so 20ppm would
be some 80 years of use. I have a memory that 40ppm is still fine, but
take advice.

Anyway, it's easy to test for copper in the soil.

If my assumption regarding the copper is true, is there any ground
chemistry changes produced by the vines themselves?

Probably, but not anything I, personally, would give any concern about
whatsoever.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.