Old 30-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Cass

Default Decree fungicide

In article ddf28afe2fe069baa4cd6f2eebfe2d51@TeraNews, Theo Asir
wrote:

I cannot believe my first "flush" is going to be in June, in coastal 7b.
It's about 3 weeks late. I have some blooms, but not like it's been in the
past. And I have as many buds, if not more, but they are not "ripe" as
quickly.

Have you been part of the 8 inches of rain in the month of May climate
group? That's got to be rough. Our late, damp spring brought lots of
buds but many more spoiled buds. It's been a job to finger prune the
ruined buds as they start to open because there are so many buds,
plenty of unspoiled ones can make for a nice flush. Buff Beauty comes
to mind....along with Honorine de Brabant.

I have been curious about this
bloom time variace for some time.

Here in cold Zone 5 borderline 4
My first flush is done. Deadheaded
last rose last week. Many are
now getting ready for their second flush.
Probably first week of June.

Around here, air *and* soil temps have to be implicated along with the
relative harshness of the winter. More frost, more condensed the spring
flush. Milder the winter, more spread out the spring flush.

I can gauge bloom dates from the dates of jpgs of the blooms. Some
roses do their spring flush same week every year. Among those, some
like Dortmund, Phyllis Bide and Sally Holmes have the peak flush the
same day three years in a row. Certain shrub roses are always last:
Bonica, Carefree Delight, and The Fairy are just starting to open up.

The teas, noisettes and hybrid teas are the most variable here - from
starting in the end of January to skipping the winter bloom and waiting
until May.