Old 30-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Dave Sheehy

Default help needed

Geir Harris Hedemark ) wrote:
: (D Cooney) writes:
: PS - don't try Vandas - they need a greenhouse.

: They do?

:-)

: My vanda sansai (or was it keeree?) blue (just a small one, probably
: won't flower for another two years) is putting forth leaves like
: crazy. Since january, there are five new leaves, a 4in new root and
: several new growths on old roots. It _is_ getting 25klux of artificial
: light 12 hours each day, but apart from that, it is just sitting on a
: table in the living room along with two ascocendas, one blc white
: diamond, one noname dendrobium (white flowers, getting 10klux and also
: thriving) and a number of epidendrums that are all divisions or keikis
: off one (noname, labelled as "ballerina") plant. All of them seem to
: be doing very well - I have a hope that the blc will start flowering
: in july. It has two new bulbs that are maturing right now. All of
: these plants are in pots. A lime bush and a tomato plant are also
: under the same lights to help keep the moisture a bit higher.

I have a 15 year old Vanda that's never seen a greenhouse for the entire
time I've had it. It's bloomed consistently for the last 5 years at the
least (it was in a 1" pot when I bought it). It sits in a window sill all
year long and gets nothing but natural light and whatever the local
humidity happens to be (30-40% in the summer and 50-60% in the winter).
So, IME based on this one individual they certainly don't need a greenhouse.
I have recently acquired an Ascocenda and another Vanda and they both are
growing new leaves and roots. I haven't had them long enough to rebloom yet
though. My Vandas are both of the strap-leaved type. I haven't tried any
of the terete types.

Dave Sheehy