Old 30-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Chet Hayes

Default Sink Hole Problem

Run for your life, your house will soon be swallowed!

The most common cause of what you are seeing is decaying wood that was
buried below grade. Is it a relatively new house? Could be scrap
building material. Was there a tree there? Could be a stump.

Just carefully remove the grass with a sharp spade. At that point you
may find what caused it. Just fill it in with good top soil and
replace the grass.

You may have to do this several times over a few years. The
alternative is to dig it all out and refill, but its usually not worth
it.

"BEN MILANO" wrote in message et...
I live on Long Island and for the last 6 days it has rained very heavily.
Last year I noticed a small depression in my backyard. It was approximately
4" wide and 3"-4" deep.

I was mowing the lawn after the rains and noticed that the depression is now
much larger, approximately 12" wide and 5" deep. I am wondering what caused
this? How can it be fixed and is it serious?

Thanks for your help.

- slider