Old 30-05-2003, 02:20 PM
BEN MILANO

Default Sink Hole Problem

I live on Long Island and for the last 6 days it has rained very heavily.
Last year I noticed a small depression in my backyard. It was approximately
4" wide and 3"-4" deep.

I was mowing the lawn after the rains and noticed that the depression is now
much larger, approximately 12" wide and 5" deep. I am wondering what caused
this? How can it be fixed and is it serious?

Thanks for your help.

- slider

Old 30-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Chet Hayes

Run for your life, your house will soon be swallowed!

The most common cause of what you are seeing is decaying wood that was
buried below grade. Is it a relatively new house? Could be scrap
building material. Was there a tree there? Could be a stump.

Just carefully remove the grass with a sharp spade. At that point you
may find what caused it. Just fill it in with good top soil and
replace the grass.

You may have to do this several times over a few years. The
alternative is to dig it all out and refill, but its usually not worth
it.

Old 31-05-2003, 12:20 AM

"BEN MILANO" wrote:
I live on Long Island and for the last 6 days it has rained very heavily.
Last year I noticed a small depression in my backyard. It was
approximately 4" wide and 3"-4" deep.

I was mowing the lawn after the rains and noticed that the depression is
now much larger, approximately 12" wide and 5" deep. I am wondering what
caused this? How can it be fixed and is it serious?

Thanks for your help.

- slider

Someone filled a hole, or a big dead' tree root system.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 31-05-2003, 03:08 AM
Oscar_lives

"BEN MILANO" wrote in message
t...
I live on Long Island and for the last 6 days it has rained very heavily.
Last year I noticed a small depression in my backyard. It was

approximately
4" wide and 3"-4" deep.

I was mowing the lawn after the rains and noticed that the depression is

now
much larger, approximately 12" wide and 5" deep. I am wondering what

caused
this? How can it be fixed and is it serious?

Thanks for your help.

- slider

Probably just an abandoned coal mine or a cave.

You better sleep with one eye open and with a long rope.

Old 31-05-2003, 03:32 AM

"Oscar_lives" wrote:
"BEN MILANO" wrote in message
t...
I live on Long Island and for the last 6 days it has rained very
heavily. Last year I noticed a small depression in my backyard. It was

approximately
4" wide and 3"-4" deep.

I was mowing the lawn after the rains and noticed that the depression
is

now
much larger, approximately 12" wide and 5" deep. I am wondering what

caused
this? How can it be fixed and is it serious?

Thanks for your help.

- slider

Probably just an abandoned coal mine or a cave.

You better sleep with one eye open and with a long rope.

Poltergiest VI..(sp)

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old 31-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Jason Baugher

"BEN MILANO" wrote in alt.home.lawn.garden:

I live on Long Island and for the last 6 days it has rained very
heavily. Last year I noticed a small depression in my backyard. It was
approximately 4" wide and 3"-4" deep.

I was mowing the lawn after the rains and noticed that the depression
is now much larger, approximately 12" wide and 5" deep. I am wondering
what caused this? How can it be fixed and is it serious?

Thanks for your help.

- slider

I had something similar happen to me. It turned out to be an old cistern
that someone had filled with loose bricks and old chunks of concrete.
Eventually the fill settled and the dirt on top settled with it. I dug
mine out, filled it up with sand, and placed the dirt back on top.

--
Jason Baugher