Old 30-05-2003, 08:56 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default brown shiny shots and rotting seedling leaf?

"SugarChile" wrote:

General rule of thumb....fungus is a hell of a lot easier to prevent than to
treat. Give your seedlings more light, less moisture, and some air
circulation, and pray for the best.

These were outside and air circulation was good. they were in the
middle of an open, full sun, southwest facing stone patio. I placed
them on a table to raise them off the ground. I keep emptying the
bottom tray of the rainwater accumulating in it, sometimes twice a day
due to the weather lately. I'm hearing rain this weekend again and I'm
thinking of pulling them inside and putting under lights to spare it
from more wet weather. The first has rotted away half of one leaf.

Should I just yank them and get rid of the fungus? There are some
other tiny seedlings in the common planter.

With only the first set of leaves, they
may not have the resources to overcome it. You could start some new seeds
as backup; they are large seeds and grow quickly. Nick the seeds with a
file, and/or soak them first, and be sure to use clean containers and
sterile potting mix.

This is what I was thinking too--or just get some small ones from the
nursery.

Good luck,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA