Old 29-05-2003, 04:32 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default brown shiny shots and rotting seedling leaf?

I have three morning glory seedlings, each just has the two V-shaped
leaves. A few days ago I noticed one having little brown spots.They
were a little shiny in the center like a sap, but too small for me to
tell it was sticky. There is nothing above them and the leaves and
stems show no sign of bugs.

The leaf tips started to rot, turning brown and shrivelling in to
nothing. It hasn't destroyed the whole leaf but it is looking ugly. A
second one developed the brown spots.

I'm wondering if it is due to the wet weather. From the drawings in my
book it looks closest to leaf spot. Anything to be done here?

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
Old 29-05-2003, 04:56 PM
DigitalVinyl

DigitalVinyl wrote:

From the drawings in my
book it looks closest to leaf spot.

ACtually from further web research it doesn't look that much like
photos of leaf spot. the brown discolorations are small and the leaf
is showing considerable rot from the edge. Where it hasn't rotted, the
leaf looks good.

I'm guessing some kind of fungus? Haven't purchased any kind of
fungicide spray. Recommendations?

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
Old 30-05-2003, 03:32 AM
SugarChile

General rule of thumb....fungus is a hell of a lot easier to prevent than to
treat. Give your seedlings more light, less moisture, and some air
circulation, and pray for the best. With only the first set of leaves, they
may not have the resources to overcome it. You could start some new seeds
as backup; they are large seeds and grow quickly. Nick the seeds with a
file, and/or soak them first, and be sure to use clean containers and
sterile potting mix.

Good luck,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message

From the drawings in my

Old 30-05-2003, 04:10 PM
Thomas

I would suggest you try one very simple method. It is organic and very
inexpensive. Cornmeal is a natural fungicide. Just plain old cornmeal like
you buy at the grocery store and make cornbread with. Simply sprinkle it
around your seedlings and water in.
"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message

From the drawings in my

Old 30-05-2003, 08:56 PM
DigitalVinyl

"SugarChile" wrote:

General rule of thumb....fungus is a hell of a lot easier to prevent than to
treat. Give your seedlings more light, less moisture, and some air
circulation, and pray for the best.

These were outside and air circulation was good. they were in the
middle of an open, full sun, southwest facing stone patio. I placed
them on a table to raise them off the ground. I keep emptying the
bottom tray of the rainwater accumulating in it, sometimes twice a day
due to the weather lately. I'm hearing rain this weekend again and I'm
thinking of pulling them inside and putting under lights to spare it
from more wet weather. The first has rotted away half of one leaf.

Should I just yank them and get rid of the fungus? There are some
other tiny seedlings in the common planter.

With only the first set of leaves, they
may not have the resources to overcome it. You could start some new seeds
as backup; they are large seeds and grow quickly. Nick the seeds with a
file, and/or soak them first, and be sure to use clean containers and
sterile potting mix.

This is what I was thinking too--or just get some small ones from the
nursery.

Good luck,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Old 30-05-2003, 10:08 PM
SugarChile

Should I just yank them and get rid of the fungus? There are some
other tiny seedlings in the common planter.

It's a judgment call--this is the part where gardening is an art, not a
science. You seem like a good and careful observer, which is about 50% of
what makes a good gardener. See what happens, either way, and next time
you'll be able to benefit from your experience.

I think one of the hardest things for new gardeners is facing the loss of
plants, whether it's seedlings or perennials or trees, but every one
experiences it. There's fungus, insects, bad weather, bad luck, and
wildlife to contend with. I used to agonize over every plant, until the
summer day a fierce thunderstorm blew over a mature plum tree. I had been a
novice when I planted it, and when the roots were exposed, I could see how
they had circled about in the inadequate hole I had dug, and were unable to
anchor the tree properly.

I decided to treat it as an opportunity rather than a disaster, cut up the
tree for firewood, and planted a zelkova which I like much better in that
spot than I did the plum. And I've found the trick is to have a LOT of
plants and trees, and a LOT of variety. Every year there is something that
doesn't meet expectations, and every year there is something that just stuns
me with its beauty.

Sue, philosophical on a perfect, sunny day after a month of rain

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 02-06-2003, 12:32 AM
DigitalVinyl

"SugarChile" wrote:

Should I just yank them and get rid of the fungus? There are some
other tiny seedlings in the common planter.

It's a judgment call--this is the part where gardening is an art, not a
science. You seem like a good and careful observer, which is about 50% of
what makes a good gardener. See what happens, either way, and next time
you'll be able to benefit from your experience.

Well I decided to clip the two worst rotted leaves, one on each of the
two affected plants. Since this was another rainy weekend I took the
pot in on Friday night and gave it its own incandescent grow light. I
figured the warmth with the light would be good if dampness is the
issue. My third seedling has gotten back some green-it was fading
some. It and the second one are unfurling their first true leaves. The
worst one hasn't changed much. Still yellow with spot. It may be a
lost cause. But I think the other two may be recovering. The brown
rotting has not advanced in three days. Just don't know if this will
weaken the plant for the long run.

Thanks to everyone.
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)