Old 30-05-2003, 10:08 PM
SugarChile

Default brown shiny shots and rotting seedling leaf?

Should I just yank them and get rid of the fungus? There are some
other tiny seedlings in the common planter.

It's a judgment call--this is the part where gardening is an art, not a
science. You seem like a good and careful observer, which is about 50% of
what makes a good gardener. See what happens, either way, and next time
you'll be able to benefit from your experience.

I think one of the hardest things for new gardeners is facing the loss of
plants, whether it's seedlings or perennials or trees, but every one
experiences it. There's fungus, insects, bad weather, bad luck, and
wildlife to contend with. I used to agonize over every plant, until the
summer day a fierce thunderstorm blew over a mature plum tree. I had been a
novice when I planted it, and when the roots were exposed, I could see how
they had circled about in the inadequate hole I had dug, and were unable to
anchor the tree properly.

I decided to treat it as an opportunity rather than a disaster, cut up the
tree for firewood, and planted a zelkova which I like much better in that
spot than I did the plum. And I've found the trick is to have a LOT of
plants and trees, and a LOT of variety. Every year there is something that
doesn't meet expectations, and every year there is something that just stuns
me with its beauty.

Sue, philosophical on a perfect, sunny day after a month of rain

Zone 6, Southcentral PA