Old 31-05-2003, 01:44 AM
zxcvbob

Default need simple birdhouse ideas

John S. DeBoo wrote:
Geoff Cashman wrote:

In article , Linda Hand
wrote:

As one who has wasted much time building bird houses and bird
feeders, I have to tell you that the easiest way to acquire them is
at Walmart! I can't believe the detailing that these Chinese-made
birdhouses and feeders have for the price. I could never ever
justify spending my time on them again, knowing I can buy the
workmanship that is offered in those sold in Walmart.

Except, there is enjoyment to be had in building such things. Maybe
not for you, but for some (myself included).

Besides, I'd rather my money stayed in the U.S.

-Geoff

Amen to that. A few good dry pieces of cedar fencing and a little
imagination is all thats needed.

Careful about using cedar fencing. It is very soft. I built a lovely
little bluebird house, and the squirrels chewed out the entrance hole to
get to the baby birds -- and ate them. Damn bushy-tailed rats.

Cedar works very well for most of the birdhouse, but use something hard
like oak or hackberry to make the front. At least make the squirrels work
to break into it.

Best regards,
Bob