Old 29-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Adrian Lundgren

Default need simple birdhouse ideas

Hi all. I have been looking for a book of simple, rustic birdhouse
patterns (to be used outside). Does anyone know a web site or book
that would be helpful?
tia!
al

Old 30-05-2003, 04:09 PM

squash gourds. I bought some from ebay. very old fashioned. Ingrid

Adrian Lundgren wrote:

Hi all. I have been looking for a book of simple, rustic birdhouse
patterns (to be used outside). Does anyone know a web site or book
that would be helpful?
tia!
al

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 31-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Geoff Cashman

In article ,
Linda Hand wrote:

As one who has wasted much time building
bird houses and bird feeders, I have to
tell you that the easiest way to acquire
them is at Walmart! I can't believe the
detailing that these Chinese-made birdhouses
and feeders have for the price. I could never
ever justify spending my time on them again,
knowing I can buy the workmanship that is
offered in those sold in Walmart.

Except, there is enjoyment to be had in building
such things. Maybe not for you, but for some (myself
included).

Besides, I'd rather my money stayed in the U.S.

-Geoff

Old 31-05-2003, 01:32 AM
John S. DeBoo

Geoff Cashman wrote:

In article ,
Linda Hand wrote:

As one who has wasted much time building
bird houses and bird feeders, I have to
tell you that the easiest way to acquire
them is at Walmart! I can't believe the
detailing that these Chinese-made birdhouses
and feeders have for the price. I could never
ever justify spending my time on them again,
knowing I can buy the workmanship that is
offered in those sold in Walmart.

Except, there is enjoyment to be had in building
such things. Maybe not for you, but for some (myself
included).

Besides, I'd rather my money stayed in the U.S.

-Geoff

Amen to that. A few good dry pieces of cedar fencing and a little
imagination is all thats needed.

--
John S. DeBoo

Old 31-05-2003, 01:44 AM
zxcvbob

John S. DeBoo wrote:
Geoff Cashman wrote:

In article , Linda Hand
wrote:

As one who has wasted much time building bird houses and bird
feeders, I have to tell you that the easiest way to acquire them is
at Walmart! I can't believe the detailing that these Chinese-made
birdhouses and feeders have for the price. I could never ever
justify spending my time on them again, knowing I can buy the
workmanship that is offered in those sold in Walmart.

Except, there is enjoyment to be had in building such things. Maybe
not for you, but for some (myself included).

Besides, I'd rather my money stayed in the U.S.

-Geoff

Amen to that. A few good dry pieces of cedar fencing and a little
imagination is all thats needed.

Careful about using cedar fencing. It is very soft. I built a lovely
little bluebird house, and the squirrels chewed out the entrance hole to
get to the baby birds -- and ate them. Damn bushy-tailed rats.

Cedar works very well for most of the birdhouse, but use something hard
like oak or hackberry to make the front. At least make the squirrels work
to break into it.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 31-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Geoff Cashman

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:
Careful about using cedar fencing. It is very soft. I built a lovely
little bluebird house, and the squirrels chewed out the entrance hole to
get to the baby birds -- and ate them. Damn bushy-tailed rats.

Cedar works very well for most of the birdhouse, but use something hard
like oak or hackberry to make the front. At least make the squirrels work
to break into it.

Good tip.

Also build something into the house that allows you to open it
every year or so. Cleaning out a feeder with only an entrance
hole can be a real trick.

-Geoff

Old 31-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Phisherman

I've seen birdhouses at the local arburetum. Most of them had a metal
plate (with a hole in the middle) screwed to the front of the
birhouse. The metal makes it very tough for a squirrel to chew his
way in.

On Fri, 30 May 2003 19:39:16 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

John S. DeBoo wrote:

Old 01-06-2003, 03:32 AM
Geoff Cashman

In article ,
Geoff Cashman wrote:

Good tip.

Also build something into the house that allows you to open it
every year or so. Cleaning out a feeder with only an entrance
hole can be a real trick.

....er...correcting myself. ^^^^^^ should read "bird house".
It applies to feeders too, but I meant bird houses

-Geoff

[IMG] code is On

Birdhouse gourd update Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 1 16-08-2007 02:56 AM
Birdhouse orientation? Gene Texas 0 24-03-2007 06:17 PM
Birdhouse gourd suggestions dstvns Gardening 5 16-09-2003 10:02 PM
birdhouse gourds michele Gardening 7 08-04-2003 04:20 PM
Simple Green Ryunen Gardening 9 24-02-2003 02:15 AM