Old 18-12-2002, 05:14 AM
dstaples

Default I'm Back...

"Larry Caldwell" wrote in message
In article ,
writes:

Property owners make forestry decisions based on many factors, only one
of which is the condition of the woods. I was sad to hear how many
landowners have gone to short rotation "real estate sale" management in
your area, but it is understandable. With the large log dockage at the
mill, I have seen the net value of my biggest trees drop by 1/3 or more.
These are generally healthy, rapidly growing trees, and in last year's
market I would just let them grow for another 15 years, but in current
market conditions there's not much point. It looks like the best thing
to do is cut everything over 16" DBH, let the rest grow, and log it again
in 15 years. That's not the greatest forest management, but it may be
the only kind I can afford in the long run.

If you want better forest management, give the land owners better
options.

Same in the south.