Old 16-12-2002, 02:13 PM
Geoff Kegerreis

Default I'm Back...

Finally one more real forester (registered State of Michigan + Forest
Steward's guild member) is added to the list once again for the
assistance of real discussion of what this buz is about...

-Geoff Kegerreis

Old 17-12-2002, 10:01 PM
Geoff Kegerreis

Don, how's it going down there in ole' Texas?
I'm not sure about the forest practicioners, but that sounds like a good one,
so are you ready to start it? Where's Joe? Is he back for the winter yet?

Later,
Geoff

Don Staples wrote:

Count me as a Guild Member, said no to the SAF 20 years ago. Where do I get
info on the Forest Practitioners?

"Michael Hagen" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
says...
Finally one more real forester (registered State of Michigan + Forest
Steward's guild member) is added to the list once again for the
assistance of real discussion of what this buz is about...

-Geoff Kegerreis

Hi Geoff,
The place has gone to the dogs since Joe left and the cross posters got
in. I think most of us are still working in the field. So far it's been
a mild fall and winter out west.

Just out of curiosity, how many of us here are Guild members now? How
many SAF? Or the other groups: AFSEE, the Forest Practitioners, the pro
forest consultants group, etc.?
Mike

Old 17-12-2002, 10:24 PM
Larry Caldwell

In article ,
writes:

Hi Geoff,
The place has gone to the dogs since Joe left and the cross posters got
in. I think most of us are still working in the field. So far it's been
a mild fall and winter out west.

The crossposters are easy to deal with if you just filter out any posts
to over 3 newsgroups. The fanatics always want the tallest soapbox, and
most news servers will allow crossposting to 5 newsgroups, so they push
it to the limit.

This newsgroup never has been a high traffic zone. I'm particularly
surprised how few small timber owners have showed up. I was never
particularly impressed by Joe's ideas because I felt he was contemptuous
of the property owner.

Property owners make forestry decisions based on many factors, only one
of which is the condition of the woods. I was sad to hear how many
landowners have gone to short rotation "real estate sale" management in
your area, but it is understandable. With the large log dockage at the
mill, I have seen the net value of my biggest trees drop by 1/3 or more.
These are generally healthy, rapidly growing trees, and in last year's
market I would just let them grow for another 15 years, but in current
market conditions there's not much point. It looks like the best thing
to do is cut everything over 16" DBH, let the rest grow, and log it again
in 15 years. That's not the greatest forest management, but it may be
the only kind I can afford in the long run.

If you want better forest management, give the land owners better
options.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Old 18-12-2002, 05:12 AM
dstaples

"Geoff Kegerreis" wrote in message
Don, how's it going down there in ole' Texas?
I'm not sure about the forest practicioners, but that sounds like a good

one,
so are you ready to start it? Where's Joe? Is he back for the winter

yet?

Later,
Geoff

Still fighting the thieves, selling a little timber, doing some tax work,
you know, day in the life of..... Haven't heard a word from Joe, may be on
some Caribbean isle with some senorita. Forestry is slow, till the
companies sort out their business. Not sure on the forest practitioners,
been practicing only 30 some odd years, so may not have it down yet.

Old 03-01-2003, 04:36 PM
JimiFromMI

Hi guys.

Maybe you old-timers remember me from years back. I'm a small timber owner
thinking about soaking in the newsgroups once again and just downloaded the
last 500 or so headers.

Would the (original) bionet site be a better forum if I was to concentrate
on just one? There does seem to be an abundance of political offtopic
titles here? Gee, and I thought the political arguments with Zorzin (race,
bigbrother-mandated forestry, etc.) was on the high side!

Regards,

DVK

Old 04-01-2003, 02:07 AM
Larry Caldwell

In article ,
writes:

Maybe you old-timers remember me from years back. I'm a small timber owner
thinking about soaking in the newsgroups once again and just downloaded the
last 500 or so headers.

Welcome back. That makes two small timber owners here. You didn't find
much in the last 500 headers, did you? :{

Would the (original) bionet site be a better forum if I was to concentrate
on just one? There does seem to be an abundance of political offtopic
titles here? Gee, and I thought the political arguments with Zorzin (race,
bigbrother-mandated forestry, etc.) was on the high side!

I have to admit there's a dearth of forestry information here. I just
keep reading because there are a couple real foresters who post here.
Daniel Wheeler is a mushroom nut, but he is a congenial mushroom nut who
also reposts forestry critical news.

The political posters are fairly easy to ignore. Only a couple of them
actually read the newsgroup, and only seem to respond if you respond to
them. I don't think they have any real interest in forestry.

As for bionet.agroforestry, I haven't looked at it for a while. The only
agroforestry anybody has discussed here is Mike Hagen's ginseng crop. I
wish I could have experimented with ginseng, but I only got the
neighbor's cows out of my trees two years ago. I had to tear down some
of my fences, which he was relying on to keep his cows off the county
road. Maybe now that the cows are gone I can tinker with the understory.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc
Old 04-01-2003, 04:31 PM
Larry Harrell

Larry Caldwell wrote in message t...

I have to admit there's a dearth of forestry information here. I just
keep reading because there are a couple real foresters who post here.
Daniel Wheeler is a mushroom nut, but he is a congenial mushroom nut who
also reposts forestry critical news.

The political posters are fairly easy to ignore. Only a couple of them
actually read the newsgroup, and only seem to respond if you respond to
them. I don't think they have any real interest in forestry.

I've seen some banter about those cross-posters on other newsgroups.
They have several websites that post slanted articles for crossposters
to use and post to as many newsgroups as they can muster, hoping to
"flood" out opposing viewpoints. Yes, they do rarely respond and when
they do, they don't always understand what they are posting. It makes
me wonder if they aren't getting paid to post that stuff by the
bushel.

However, I do think that many of them are afraid to post here because
real foresters put up a good fight G. I've been pretty dang busy in
other newsgroups defending good forestry. I often get jumped upon by
many of the "preservationist" crowd when I defend and promote good
forestry. I rarely get concessions but, my target is not the closed
minds of the "preservationists" but the open minds of the lurkers
reading that stuff. I actually crosspost some of that stuff to here,
to get more forestry minded input.

Larry you can blame me for some of the crossposting but, what the
hey?