Old 31-05-2003, 03:44 PM
MFA

Default broccoli

You say you have huge leaves and yet no broccili to eat.I grow it every year
and have had that happen many times to me as well.In my case its what I
guess is the cabbage worm.You may not even see them on the plant of broccili
they don't seem to like broccili leaves and may even be toxic to them but
they love the broccili head.The culprit for me is the little white
butterfly.They lay eggs on the leaves and the worm hatches about three days
latter.This worm loves collard leaves,cabage leaves,brussel sprout leaves
and will strip the plant bare of leaves in less than a week but I never see
them on the broccili leaf just the broccili head or what lillte fragment of
a head i could find.I've never had broccili not to form a head because of
heavy nitrogen the faster they grow the bigger the head unlike tomatoes
going to weed (getting huge with few tomatoes)Broccili loves nitrogen.If it
could be the worm eatting your broccili one way to check if its not to late
and washed off is to look where the head should form, if you see any black
sludge or very small roundish black balls or black trails, if so then it
proabally was the worm that got the head.The black you would see is whats
left of the worm eatting the broccili(worm poop).But its not to late to have
good side shoots if you can keep away the white butterfly.I use deer net it
lets lots of light through yet the mesh is small enough to keep out the
butterfly.Put a steak at each corner of the broccili patch about two to
three feet high and drape the net over it, weigh the edges down with
something heavy I use rocks to keep the butterfly from going under.,Any
place it can find to get in it will.This creature is relentless.They will
circle the net all day trying.Deer net can be found at either lowes or home
depot,and is fairly inexpensive $13 for a 7ft wide by 100ft long and will
last for at least ten years if you roll it up and store in the winter.My
broccili patch needs double that width so I overlap two of them and use
twist ties or clothes pins to hold together.Leave no cracks a two inch lap
and a tie or pin every foot will do.Now I enjoy beautiful clean broccili and
don,t even spray poisions anymore.If your broccili is strong and healthy you
can still get more in volume of side shoots than the head would have
formed.I leave my broccili growing all winter,on the warmer days it
continues making side shoots and the freeze does not hurt it at all.Sides
shoots can freeze solid and continue growing yet still retain flavor and not
be woody or tough.In the spring when they begin to seed or bloom I cut them
down and throw into the compost.