Old 31-05-2003, 04:44 PM
MacTech

Default Planting this late?

I have not been able to get my garden tilled due to all the rain. Is it too
late to plant from seed in North Carolina?

Go for it - plants don't know what date it is. The right soil
temperature and moisture are what you need. Here in Wisconsin, we've
noticed that if we plant early, the ground is simply too cold to have
good germination. So we wait, just put in most of the garden last
weekend, still have 2 more plantings of sweet corn and I've got to get
my pumpkin seedlings in today.

Last week, my brother in law was digging a basement for a new house
and had to stop because there was still frost below 4 feet and that's
on the south side of a hill.

You might want to get a soil thermometer. That'll tell you when it's
time better than the calandar.

Randy

Share the View.
http://ruralroute2.com