Old 31-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Jason Baugher

Default Sink Hole Problem

"BEN MILANO" wrote in alt.home.lawn.garden:

I live on Long Island and for the last 6 days it has rained very
heavily. Last year I noticed a small depression in my backyard. It was
approximately 4" wide and 3"-4" deep.

I was mowing the lawn after the rains and noticed that the depression
is now much larger, approximately 12" wide and 5" deep. I am wondering
what caused this? How can it be fixed and is it serious?

Thanks for your help.

- slider

I had something similar happen to me. It turned out to be an old cistern
that someone had filled with loose bricks and old chunks of concrete.
Eventually the fill settled and the dirt on top settled with it. I dug
mine out, filled it up with sand, and placed the dirt back on top.

--
Jason Baugher