Old 31-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Johanna

Default North Wales Wildflower

In article ,
says...

"Adrian Jones" wrote in message ...
I went to North Wales yesterday and saw a lovely pink wildflower growing
near the sea. It was tall, bright pink, a bit like a verbena bonariensis,
but pinker and not as flat, the leaves are quite thick and fleshy. Can
anyone tell me the name of this plant? Thanks

Red Valerian - Centranthus ruber naturalised on all the walls etc around N. Wales and Anglesey coast.

http://www.floracam.co.uk/wildflowers/flowers/33.html

Not a great photo but it should confirm it for you.

Rod

I got so used to seeing red and white Valerian when growing up on
Anglesey that it didn't occur to me that it wasn't so common in other
areas such as my current home in Leicester. It wasn't until we passed
some in Cornwall last week that I realised I'd not seen it elsewhere.

Johanna