Old 05-01-2003, 01:02 AM
Larry Harrell

Default Thanks Tom Beno!

(Scott Murphy) wrote in message . com...
Check your silvics books:

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/si.../giganteum.htm

"Giant sequoias have serotinous cones which, at maturity, may remain
attached to the stems without opening to release seeds. For 20 years
or more, cones may retain viable seeds and continue to photosynthesize
and grow, their peduncles producing annual rings that can be used to
determine cone age (16,36)."

But if you read further you will come across discussion of other
vectors of dispersal, namely the critters.

Well, then, I will take your word on that and stand corrected. Once
you stop learning stuff, you might as well die G. I always see the
Sequoia cones on the ground, already opened. I did find some closed
ones and tried to use the seed but the seeds seemed to be unviable
8^(

As far as seedling development goes, Larry is bang on:

"Seed dormancy is not evident in giant sequoia, so surviving seeds
germinate as soon as conditions are favorable (17). Germination is
epigeal. The most significant requirement for germination is an
adequate supply of moisture and protection of the seed from
desiccation. This is best provided by moist, friable mineral soil that
covers the seed to a depth of 1 cm (0.4 in), and that is partially
shaded to reduce surface drying."

Bang on again with the redwoods:

"Redwood cones dry readily under conditions of low humidity and
quickly release their seeds with slight shaking."

I'm told that Vol.1 of the Silvics of North America is out of print...
any idea where I might track one down?

Scott forestry is mind-boggling

I think your best bet would be a used bookstore in a town with a
forestry college, Scott.

Larry