Old 01-06-2003, 07:20 AM
Guendol

Default Planting in whiskey barrel

I plan on planting an oak leaf hydragena in a half whiskey barrel (set on
wheels), but I'm wondering what type of preparation I need to do to the barrel.
I'm assuming some nice drain holes in the bottom are needed, but aside from
that I'm at a loss. I know that plastic liners are available, but would prefer
to plant directly in the barrel as my plants in plastic just dont seem to do as
well as the ones in more natural containers. Do I need to seal the inside of
the barrel in any way? I'm in Southern California so frost is not an issue.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, this plant is a very nice hard to find
(at least here in So Cal) hydragena that I really had to search out for my mum
after she fell in love with one pictured in a fall issue of Sunset magazine. I
would hate to do it harm by not preparing the barrel correctly.
Thanks much,
Rachel