Old 01-06-2003, 07:20 AM
Guendol

Default Planting in whiskey barrel

I plan on planting an oak leaf hydragena in a half whiskey barrel (set on
wheels), but I'm wondering what type of preparation I need to do to the barrel.
I'm assuming some nice drain holes in the bottom are needed, but aside from
that I'm at a loss. I know that plastic liners are available, but would prefer
to plant directly in the barrel as my plants in plastic just dont seem to do as
well as the ones in more natural containers. Do I need to seal the inside of
the barrel in any way? I'm in Southern California so frost is not an issue.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, this plant is a very nice hard to find
(at least here in So Cal) hydragena that I really had to search out for my mum
after she fell in love with one pictured in a fall issue of Sunset magazine. I
would hate to do it harm by not preparing the barrel correctly.
Thanks much,
Rachel
Old 01-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Julia Altshuler

I planted in a half whiskey barrel for the first time the other day so my advice
is based on what I did then and what I read in The New Victory Garden, not on
what I discovered at the end of the season.

You will need drainage holes. I drilled 5 holes in the bottom with an electric
drill. The bottom was thicker than I thought but still easy to drill through.
As a rule, I'm uncomfortable with power tools, but this was pleasant because the
barrel gave off the loveliest aroma of sweet whiskey sauce during the process.
I'm not making this up. Think New Orleans style bread pudding.

The barrel was heavier than I thought even with nothing in it. I know you're
setting it on a platform on wheels, but put it where you want it first anyway.
Then fill it with dirt.

The barrel came from Home Depot with a nice black pitch sort of material from
charring the barrel for whiskey. I didn't use any sort of plastic liner. Then
what would be the point of the drainage holes?

I did put some rocks in the bottom before piling dirt, peat and composted manure
on top. I'm not sure they were necessary, but I have plenty of rocks so in they
went.

I wouldn't expect the barrel to last forever, but the ones I've seen around here
have lasted for a good long time. Perhaps plastic is more durable, but plastic
is ugly. I believe the trade-off is worth it.

That's it. I put zucchini in mine.

--Lia

[IMG] code is On

Suggestions for a pump / filter for 1/2 whiskey barrel Roy Ponds 3 22-08-2004 07:44 PM
Whiskey Barrel Biofilter Benign Vanilla Ponds 3 27-07-2004 04:06 PM
Whiskey Barrel Biofilter Bill Stock Ponds 7 23-07-2004 05:04 PM
whiskey barrel pond Sandy Ponds 7 25-06-2003 04:44 AM
planting in a whiskey barrel seepnezorf1 Gardening 3 27-05-2003 12:56 PM