Old 01-06-2003, 07:20 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Need to Order Bottom Drain TODAY (maybe valves) - But Which Type?

On 30 May 2003 14:34:28 -0700, (Lisa) wrote:

Great. I've decided to get a 4" bottom drain & run 4" pipe from it
under the liner. Now I'm trying to figure out if I should put a gate
valve BEFORE the skimmer line comes in or after they merge - at the
filter box.

I can close the door to the skimmer to turn that off, but if I want
the skimmer running ONLY - I wouldn't be able to do that if the valve
is at the filter box.

Scratching head here.

Having both types, I'm glad you decided on the under-the-liner. As far as
the gate valve do make it so you can valve down or turn off the bottom
drain, the reason behind this is if you want to do a slow circ. in the
winter you can close down the bottom drain minimal to nothing and use just
the skimmer.

This spring has been a very foamy one for me this year and we actually
disconnected the bottom drain to get the skimmer to work harder. It has
helped, plus I sold two of my bigger fish today, so hopefully all will be
back to normal around here soon. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~