Old 01-06-2003, 08:56 AM
zookeeper

Default plant prop-er-up-ers

*muffin* wrote:
what do you guys use to prop up your lilies to the surface?
I have a 3 ft depth in most areas,,, I did put my hardies in a laundry
basket on top of a milk carton-type crate ...
but I have to come up higher for the tropicals.. I found a tall
laundry/garbage pail thing (with holes in the sides) I thought I could use,,
but am wondering *if* it will be sturdy enough ...
THIS pond has a 30 mil liner,, & set over carpet,, but finding out
walking on it,, it is NOT exactly flat,, **major sigh**. lots of dippys & of
course the dang sloping sides.. which also means I can't get too near the
sides with the plants ...

While looking for a plant stand for our wide, flat lotus pot, I found a
web site that detailed how to make stands from PVC. Well, after googling
around for a while, I found it at the Wayback Machine:
http://web.archive.org/web/200101220...m/pvcstand.htm

This is The Plant Place's PVC plant stand. Of course, you can make it
any size or shape you want, as well as making the legs different lengths
to accommodate slope or "dippys" in the pond bottom. On some other web
site (or in a pond magazine) I saw metal plant stands (think they were
powder or plastic coated to avoid rusting). Someone who is handy with
wire or welding could make those, but just about anyone should be able
to make the PVC plant stands -- kind of like working with Tinkertoys or
Knex. You can spray paint the PVC stand to hide it in the pond, or just
let algae build up on it over time.
--
Kathy B, zookeeper
3500gal pond (Oregon)