Old 01-06-2003, 01:32 AM
*muffin*

Default plant prop-er-up-ers

what do you guys use to prop up your lilies to the surface?
I have a 3 ft depth in most areas,,, I did put my hardies in a laundry
basket on top of a milk carton-type crate.. ( I could ONLY find the weird
cheap'os in the stationary supply sections,,,,do they still sell the really
good heavy *square* ones anymore???)
but I have to come up higher for the tropicals.. I found a tall
laundry/garbage pail thing (with holes in the sides) I thought I could use,,
but am wondering *if* it will be sturdy enough.. I do NOT have crazy big koi
to worry about ,, but you never know.....
I suppose I could use concrete bloks,, but am leery about them sitting on
the bottom,, maybe *on* a piece of carpet?? in my OLDE pond,, since it was
fiberglass, it was sooooo was to use concrete & brick stands.
THIS pond has a 30 mil liner,, & set over carpet,, but finding out
walking on it,, it is NOT exactly flat,, **major sigh**. lots of dippys & of
course the dang sloping sides.. which also means I can't get too near the
sides with the plants,,, ( I had one fall over already,, that had a diff of
2 in from one side to the other),,,, any suggestions on HOW to prop up UNDER
the support to make the support level??? I am not about to go UNDER the
water,, to shove something under them,, I was thinking sand in a bag?? but
then,, unless I empty the pond halfway,, I'll never be able to "sit" it
straight on the ground.

aarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

**grummmble**

yea I know,,,,, should been done with MORE thought,, but after a 6 yr old
hole in the ground,, I was ready for ANYTHING to get this pond in, & I never
thought to check it out before the liner was put IN.

Old 01-06-2003, 01:32 AM
John Rutz

*muffin* wrote:
what do you guys use to prop up your lilies to the surface?
I have a 3 ft depth in most areas,,,
aarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

**grummmble**

yea I know,,,,, should been done with MORE thought,, but after a 6 yr old
hole in the ground,, I was ready for ANYTHING to get this pond in, & I never
thought to check it out before the liner was put IN.

-- Old weathered concrete blocks will be fine even if you drop one
with three feet of water it wont hit hard enough to hole the liner
( this from experience dropping one from 3 ft up into 18 in water )
once you get high enough you can level the pot prety easily if needed

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 01-06-2003, 08:56 AM
zookeeper

*muffin* wrote:
what do you guys use to prop up your lilies to the surface?
I have a 3 ft depth in most areas,,, I did put my hardies in a laundry
basket on top of a milk carton-type crate ...
but I have to come up higher for the tropicals.. I found a tall
laundry/garbage pail thing (with holes in the sides) I thought I could use,,
but am wondering *if* it will be sturdy enough ...
THIS pond has a 30 mil liner,, & set over carpet,, but finding out
walking on it,, it is NOT exactly flat,, **major sigh**. lots of dippys & of
course the dang sloping sides.. which also means I can't get too near the
sides with the plants ...

While looking for a plant stand for our wide, flat lotus pot, I found a
web site that detailed how to make stands from PVC. Well, after googling
around for a while, I found it at the Wayback Machine:
http://web.archive.org/web/200101220...m/pvcstand.htm

This is The Plant Place's PVC plant stand. Of course, you can make it
any size or shape you want, as well as making the legs different lengths
to accommodate slope or "dippys" in the pond bottom. On some other web
site (or in a pond magazine) I saw metal plant stands (think they were
powder or plastic coated to avoid rusting). Someone who is handy with
wire or welding could make those, but just about anyone should be able
to make the PVC plant stands -- kind of like working with Tinkertoys or
Knex. You can spray paint the PVC stand to hide it in the pond, or just
let algae build up on it over time.
--
Kathy B, zookeeper
3500gal pond (Oregon)

Old 01-06-2003, 10:20 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Or maybe one can use ABS that is already black?

I think I'd first try the lilies at the 3 foot bottom and see if they will
grow from there, they may surprise you. I think all of K30's lilies are on
her 3 foot bottom, aren't they? ~ jan

On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 00:47:18 -0700, zookeeper wrote:

While looking for a plant stand for our wide, flat lotus pot, I found a
web site that detailed how to make stands from PVC. Well, after googling
around for a while, I found it at the Wayback Machine:
http://web.archive.org/web/200101220...m/pvcstand.htm

You can spray paint the PVC stand to hide it in the pond, or just
let algae build up on it over time.

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 01-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Tbumpy

Our pond is about 3 feet deep and our lillies grow just fine there. We have
them planted in 5 gallon buckets cut down short so we don't have to replant but
every few years. At this depth, they winter well and come back every summer.

Old 02-06-2003, 02:44 AM
*muffin*

I think I'd first try the lilies at the 3 foot bottom and see if they will
grow from there, they may surprise you. I think all of K30's lilies are on
her 3 foot bottom, aren't they? ~ jan

but I was TOLD that **tropical** lilies & lotus should only have a few
inches over them, if you want good blooms..

yes? no?

Old 02-06-2003, 04:20 AM
BenignVanilla

"*muffin*" wrote in message
what do you guys use to prop up your lilies to the surface?

snip

My lily sits in about 18 inches of water, and is thriving. I also have a
miniature lily, of unknown variety as it was a fit from a neighbors spring
cull/cleaning. That one is in 3 feet of water and has already sent two
leaves to the surface.

BV.

Old 02-06-2003, 04:44 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Lotus yes, but heavens no on most tropical lilies, they can really come up
from the depths. ~ jan

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003 21:15:44 -0400, "*muffin*" wrote:

I think I'd first try the lilies at the 3 foot bottom and see if they will
grow from there, they may surprise you. I think all of K30's lilies are on
her 3 foot bottom, aren't they? ~ jan

but I was TOLD that **tropical** lilies & lotus should only have a few
inches over them, if you want good blooms..

yes? no?

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

What to do with a big, leaning Agave? Prop it up? Richard Sherratt Australia 4 12-11-2011 05:47 AM
POE 2007 - Cymbidium (Fifi 'Harry' x Jean Angus) 'Heathrich Hills' - Nice pendant cym against display prop Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 28-02-2007 05:08 AM
All you DIY'ers HELP FBCS Ponds 3 13-08-2003 06:05 AM
All you DIY'ers HELP FBCS Ponds 0 12-08-2003 11:16 PM
What to do about space between prop line & road? Bob Muir Gardening 1 27-03-2003 12:44 AM