Old 01-06-2003, 04:56 PM
John Hines

Default Need to Order Bottom Drain TODAY (maybe valves) - But Which Type?

(Lisa) wrote:

Since trenching down 4' & sinking a filter in the ground isn't an
option. My only other recourse to prevent freeze cracks is to install
a gate valve WAY below the surface by the ponds edge & create a deep
well around it or diving in the pond, popping off the lid & plugging
the hole of the drain. I imagine this to be a nasty job to perform in
December or so.

Put a piece of 4" pvc pipe in the vertical, and make up an extra long
handle for the valve. Put a cap over it, when you don't need access.

That is the way plumbing works around here, the valve itself is
below/insulated, and the handle goes outside, or up to the surface.

You'll only need to dig it up if it fails.