Old 01-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Sean Houtman

Default help!!!

From: (Iris Cohen)

I have a Paphiopedilum armeniacum. There are three young runners. The
small,
bottom leaves became brown. Besides, the old runner which had flower before
became brown too. What is this?

Paph. armeniacum is not the easiest species for beginners. Since its growth
habit resembles a strawberry, you might do better with it in a wide shallow
pot
or even a basket. What type of potting medium are you using? The brown leaves
on the young runners indicate a problem at the roots. Your potting medium may
be too soggy. Check the roots. On the other hand, it is perfectly normal for
Paph. growths to die off after they bloom. Cut off the dead leaves with a
sterile razor blade, but don't remove the old stub until you are sure the
newer
growths have their own roots.
If you have any further orchid questions, e-mail me direct.

You can also get tons of help and information from the American Orchid
Society, at
www.orchidweb.org.

Sean

--
Visit my photolog page; http://members.aol.com/grommit383/myhomepage
Last updated 08-04-02 with 15 pictures of the Aztec Ruins.