Old 01-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Lisa

Default Need to Order Bottom Drain TODAY (maybe valves) - But Which Type?

Thank you. That's a good solution. I had also thought of a 4" pvc as
a well. My drain would be about 3.5' underground. I thought of
opening the valve in spring with a hook, then closing it with a
baseball bat. LOL

I'm really looking hard at the large Aqua Wizard retro drain. It's
designed differently than the tetra. Quite differently. One of which
the Tetra was 2", the Aqua Wizard can go from 2 to 4" pipe. Would be
so simple to deal with & I don't think it would be visible at all.

I think it would behave the same as a bottom drain. Actually, the
more I think about it, the more I think it might even be better. Not
sure if my logic is 100% correct however.

John Hines wrote in message . ..
(Lisa) wrote:

Since trenching down 4' & sinking a filter in the ground isn't an
option. My only other recourse to prevent freeze cracks is to install
a gate valve WAY below the surface by the ponds edge & create a deep
well around it or diving in the pond, popping off the lid & plugging
the hole of the drain. I imagine this to be a nasty job to perform in
December or so.

Put a piece of 4" pvc pipe in the vertical, and make up an extra long
handle for the valve. Put a cap over it, when you don't need access.

That is the way plumbing works around here, the valve itself is
below/insulated, and the handle goes outside, or up to the surface.

You'll only need to dig it up if it fails.