Old 02-06-2003, 02:08 AM
SugarChile

Default possible to transplant asclepias tuberosa?

I have also read that because of the taproot they are considered difficult
to transplant, but I have moved my extras around many times and given
divisions away. Get as much of the root as you can, but don't freak if you
sever it at some point. It may help to trim the top growth a bit to balance
the root loss. Contrive some temporary shade for them after planting if you
are working on a sunny day. They may wilt a bit, but in my experience after
sulking a bit they recover.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"griffon" wrote in message
There is a large patch of butterfly weed growing in a ditch near my
house and this is going to be bulldozed out in a few days because they
are building an apartment complex. The land's owner said "dig up
whatever you want" when I asked about it. I know that it has a
taproot which can go fairly deep and I was wondering if I should
expect any success at all if I try to dig it up and take it home to
stick in the ground. I am trying to decide how much effort to put
into it, since there is quite a bit of it and any I do not dig up wil
die, so I hate not to get as much as possible.