Old 01-06-2003, 11:56 PM
griffon

Default possible to transplant asclepias tuberosa?

There is a large patch of butterfly weed growing in a ditch near my
house and this is going to be bulldozed out in a few days because they
are building an apartment complex. The land's owner said "dig up
whatever you want" when I asked about it. I know that it has a
taproot which can go fairly deep and I was wondering if I should
expect any success at all if I try to dig it up and take it home to
stick in the ground. I am trying to decide how much effort to put
into it, since there is quite a bit of it and any I do not dig up wil
die, so I hate not to get as much as possible.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:20 AM
animaux

If they are dozing it anyway, go to Home Depot or some box store and buy a hunk
of burlap. It comes on a roll. They also sell it at most fabric stores, but it
will cost more there. Dig the plants out and make sure you have a good solid
root ball which you can wrap with the burlap. You can probably use any fabric
for this purpose, but it's very important to have a good root ball this late
into the season. Borrow or buy a sharpshooter. It is a very long, narrow spade
which goes down about a foot or more and you may get enough taproot that way.
The plant will probably weep and fuss, but have the holes dug before you go dig
the plants. Plant them immediately and put something like an umbrella over them
for a week or so when the sun is how. Water well, but don't over water as that
can cause them to get root or crown or stem rot. Just keep them moist for a few
weeks. You may save them.

If you live in Texas or south, it may not be such a good idea, but try anyway.
Better to save and lose to not have tried at all.

Old 02-06-2003, 02:08 AM
SugarChile

I have also read that because of the taproot they are considered difficult
to transplant, but I have moved my extras around many times and given
divisions away. Get as much of the root as you can, but don't freak if you
sever it at some point. It may help to trim the top growth a bit to balance
the root loss. Contrive some temporary shade for them after planting if you
are working on a sunny day. They may wilt a bit, but in my experience after
sulking a bit they recover.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 02-06-2003, 05:08 AM
B & J

"griffon" wrote in message
There is a large patch of butterfly weed growing in a ditch near my
house and this is going to be bulldozed out in a few days because they
are building an apartment complex. The land's owner said "dig up
whatever you want" when I asked about it. I know that it has a
taproot which can go fairly deep and I was wondering if I should
expect any success at all if I try to dig it up and take it home to
stick in the ground. I am trying to decide how much effort to put
into it, since there is quite a bit of it and any I do not dig up wil
die, so I hate not to get as much as possible.

The answers you received sounded right. Go for it because the plant is a
goner anyway. I was given a couple of seedlings by a fellow gardener that
came up under her plant and have two plants that bloom and increase in size
every year but haven't had any progeny sprout under them, a minus because I
want more.

I tried collecting, saving, and planting seeds, but none of them grew. I
might add that I collected seeds from a white milkweed with the same
results. Does anyone have a formula for making these seeds grow?

John

Old 02-06-2003, 06:44 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

B & J wrote:

I tried collecting, saving, and planting seeds, but none of them grew. I
might add that I collected seeds from a white milkweed with the same
results. Does anyone have a formula for making these seeds grow?

John

Milkweed seeds might need to be chilled before sowing.

Old 02-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Pat Kiewicz

B & J said:

The answers you received sounded right. Go for it because the plant is a
goner anyway. I was given a couple of seedlings by a fellow gardener that
came up under her plant and have two plants that bloom and increase in size
every year but haven't had any progeny sprout under them, a minus because I
want more.

I tried collecting, saving, and planting seeds, but none of them grew. I
might add that I collected seeds from a white milkweed with the same
results. Does anyone have a formula for making these seeds grow?

Easy to grow from tip cuttings. Root the cuttings in damp sand. Keep
them in a shaded area. Cover each pot with cutting with a plastic bag.
Use short stakes to hold the bags up and away from the cuttings. Cuttings
taken in June should root in time to plant in early September.

I've started getting seedling appearing here and there, but my first plant
(bare root) was the 'mother' to a number of babies through cuttings.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 02-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. said:

B & J wrote:

I tried collecting, saving, and planting seeds, but none of them grew. I
might add that I collected seeds from a white milkweed with the same
results. Does anyone have a formula for making these seeds grow?

John

Milkweed seeds might need to be chilled before sowing.

Three weeks of chilling recommended; sow seeds in damp potting mix (peat
pots recommended), then bag and put in the coldest part of the refrigerator.
Seeds should be barely covered (light aids germination).

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 02-06-2003, 06:32 PM
GrampysGurl

Easy to grow from tip cuttings. Root the cuttings in damp sand. Keep
them in a shaded area. Cover each pot with cutting with a plastic bag.
Use short stakes to hold the bags up and away from the cuttings. Cuttings
taken in June should root in time to plant in early September.

I've started getting seedling appearing here and there, but my first plant
(bare root) was the 'mother' to a number of babies through cuttings.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Will Joe Pye do as well???? I am having a heck of a time finding the native
locally and of course they don't like to be transplanted either so even
"stealing" it isn't really an option (
Old 03-06-2003, 04:08 AM
B & J

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
B & J said:.

I tried collecting, saving, and planting seeds, but none of them grew. I
might add that I collected seeds from a white milkweed with the same
results. Does anyone have a formula for making these seeds grow?

Easy to grow from tip cuttings. Root the cuttings in damp sand. Keep
them in a shaded area. Cover each pot with cutting with a plastic bag.
Use short stakes to hold the bags up and away from the cuttings. Cuttings
taken in June should root in time to plant in early September.

I've started getting seedling appearing here and there, but my first plant
(bare root) was the 'mother' to a number of babies through cuttings.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

Thanks for the information, Pat. BTW, doesn't one lose any chance for blooms
if tip cuttings are taken, or does the plant develop more flowering tips
after the initial ones are cut off for rooting? The cooling period for seeds
sounds as if it has merit too.

John

[IMG] code is On

Asclepias subulata nonnymoose Gardening 3 03-11-2006 03:03 PM
Asclepias Asclepias Plant Science 0 12-06-2003 04:20 PM
The Asclepias Genus Asclepias Plant Science 6 08-06-2003 09:20 PM
Tips for growing Passion Flower or Asclepias Raegan Simone Gardening 5 01-02-2003 04:34 AM
Oxalis tuberosa anyone? Hussein M. United Kingdom 8 29-11-2002 12:27 PM