Old 02-06-2003, 03:32 AM
Mark Anderson

Default propagating Rose of Sharon

In article says...
I have a lovely Rose of Sharon bush and I'd like more. Supposedly this
thing is easy to propagate. What is the best way to start a new plant now
(spring).

On a related note, I believe one of my gardening books mentioned that it can
be propagated from cuttings. What exactly does that entail? Do I just cut
off a branch
and stick it in the ground?

Rose of Sharons grow around here in Chicago like a weed. I planted a
couple in my parkway garden. One winter they all dropped tons of seeds
and the next spring there were hundreds of little plants. After a few
years I got this.

http://brandylion.com/rose_of_sharon.jpg

For some reason only the purple flowers chose to come out that morning.
I used to grow wildflowers in that area.

The Rose of Sharons provide great cover, easy to maintain, and flower for
a long time at the end of summer. My originals came from my parents who
pull them like weeds out of their lawn every spring. They brought a few
transplants over and in a couple of years they filled almost the whole
parkway.