Old 02-06-2003, 06:08 AM
GardeningGuy

Default Germinating Seeds -- Need advice...

Thanks Buck,

You were absolutely right. I tried it again with a small application of
water and 14 of 18 corn seed germinated.

GardeningGuy

Play4aBuck wrote:
GardeningGuy wrote in message ...

I need some advice on germinating seeds. I have a biodome that holds 60
cells with sponge material provided by the vendor. The sponges look like
dirt and have a hole for the seed already. I planted watermelon, corn,
and sunflowers. 9 seeds out of 26 of the watermelon have germinated.
Only 1 or 12 seeds have germinated for the corn and none of the
sunflower seeds have germinated. It has been 14 days since sowing.

My question is, are the yields for germinating usually this low?

NO! Those seeds are some of the easiest to germinate. All of the seeds
should have started to grow by now.

I bought quality seeds (burpee). Also, I noticed a white webby funguslike
growing out of the holes in the corn seeds that have not germinated.

I'm not sure but you may have over watered them.

Are
there any recommendations for germinating seeds?

I have had great success with cucumbers, watermelon, and corn by using the
zip lock square bowls (but I'm sure you could use other things). First I
place a paper towel in the bottom of the bowl and then lay out the seeds.
Next I place a second layer of paper towel over the seeds. I water them
until the paper towels are soaked through but not anymore than that (very
little water). There should not be any standing water! Just a good see
through soaking. I place the covered bowls on top of my frig (warm spot)
and within the week I have seeds sprouting. I then transfer the seedlings
to dirt, covering most of the plant.

If you want to use your dome again, let it dry out and then start over, but
this time cover the cells with a paper towel, and don't over water.

Cheers,
Jim