Old 02-06-2003, 07:32 AM
Simon Avery

Default I just want some grass ...

"42_Mike" wrote:

Hello 42_Mike

M I would like to simply remove all the old plants, and so
M called grass, and lay new grass so I can simply run a
M lawnmower over it.
M Now I know the best way is to get a BobCat or small JCB in
M and remove the top inc plants, but the only access is via a
M small gate, and im sorry, but I don't fancy removing the old
M stuff by hand!

Where you gonna put the stuff? If not local, you've also got to figure
in some quite expensive landfill charges and a skip.

As for access, if there's a fence - remove it.

If not, then some hire companies (ie, Jewson Hirepoint) have lorries
with HIABs on, which might be agreeable to have a 1-tonne minidigger
or bobcat delivered and lifted over a wall, provided you can get the
lorry alongside it.

Also worth thinking about are narrow minidiggers. These can be made to
fit through a normal house door (24"? 28"?) so if you can find one of
them you're in.

M Is there a type of weed killer that I can pour over the
M plot, then I can remove the dead plants and old grass, I can
M then get someone in with a rotavator and level the land
M ready for the new grass.

If time is not a major issue, try covering the garden with black
polythene for six months or a year. Looks horrid, but works and won't
get you in trouble with the EA for poisoning water courses.