Old 23-01-2003, 04:52 AM
Treemonkey

Default Fire Blight

To Whom it May Concern:
I came across your post it the newsgroups and figured I would help. I'm a
certified arborist in the rocky mountain region and a city licensed. Also I
am one of thirteen city employees that are Cert. arborist. But anyway there
are a few types of things you can use you can pour bleach and water mixed on
it takes a few to work when dry it's safe to trim or you can use rubbing
alcohol but the best and easiest is a good old can of LYSOL and spray
between each and every cut so that you do not move the fire blight
throughout the tree and also when you move on to a new tree. If you need
more info the International Society of Arboriculture is a great place to
lots of info on pruning and the proper ways to do it. Good Luck
I have a couple apple trees infected with fire blight. I want to prune
the diseased limbs off, and know I should disinfect my pruning tools to
keep from spreading the disease to healthy trees.

So what do I use to disinfect the tools? Paint thinner? I have a big
propane burner, but don't want to take the temper out of my tools or melt
fiberglass handles.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc